Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a little over 3300 miles. I too think one of the tires is out of balance, but once it warms up it seems to go away.

Yesterday I closed the driver's side door and the reflector fell off, not a big deal and I can fix it myself. But annoying because I had a 97 Grand Am that had the same problem. Let's hope Pontiac doesn't go into the bycycle making business or those kiddies are in trouble at night. :p

I also had a unique smell when under a load like climbing up some of these 13% grade hills. I figured it was all that plastic under the hood 'breaking in'. Seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 06 G6 GT with 33k on it, brake rotors, seatback releases both sides, right headlight peeled inside, blown rear speaker, a/c leak, passenger seat belt, and two chrome wheels peeling that the dealer won't make good. Is that enough?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I have an 06 G6 GT with 33k on it, brake rotors, seatback releases both sides, right headlight peeled inside, blown rear speaker, a/c leak, passenger seat belt, and two chrome wheels peeling that the dealer won't make good. Is that enough?
Wow! I was going to add but never mind :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 17k on my 2006 G6 GT. No major issues, but the alignment seems get changed easily, slight vibration at highway speeds, slight brake vibration (might be warped - sudden brake to avoid deer), sometimes the speakers sound weird, Continental tires don't hold pressure well (one flat, one bulge), cheap components and paint (already fading), some suspension noises during the winter months, steering make some ticking noises during parking lot manuvers. Most of these I've read on other posts, so I don't see much improvement between 05 and 06.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Man! I must say, I hope I don't start having the problems I'm hearing about. (knock, knock) So far the only problem I've experienced (G6 GT) is a clunking noise while turning the wheel and this is every so often. This is my third Pontiac and I am still quite pleased with their cars.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There's always a slight vibration at highway speed on my 2007. I have tried balancing the tires, alignments, etc but still no improvement. My other 10-year old car is still smooth and solid even at 100 mph.

I noticed an occasional loud pop on my speakers and thought the speakers might be blown, then I noticed it only happens when I am listening to the radio, especially AM. So I think it is most likely due to poor reception...they're not that good with the G6.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
There's always a slight vibration at highway speed on my 2007. I have tried balancing the tires, alignments, etc but still no improvement.
What brand of tire? I bought some WalMart tires some years back and they were :eek:"OUT OF ROUND":eek:! Goodyear tire; Go figure:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't know what brand. They're stock tires from the factory. There's also a grinding noise from the hubcaps. The dealers can't fix it after repeated tries.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just came back from the dealership for some steering noise (clunking) and a broken mirror cover (driver visor). Apparently the intermediate shaft needs to be replaced. I've had this problem a number of times with my 03 Impala and no solution yet (105,000 miles).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 2006 G6 Sedan a week ago. It's got 47,000 miles on it. I just started receiving this sticking / popping from my steering, especially at slow speeds. After reading some posts on here, I guess it's off to the dealership ASAP.....I hope this doesn't turn into something that drags on forever.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Just bought my 2006 G6 Sedan a week ago. It's got 47,000 miles on it. I just started receiving this sticking / popping from my steering, especially at slow speeds. After reading some posts on here, I guess it's off to the dealership ASAP.....I hope this doesn't turn into something that drags on forever.
You'll find the steering noise is a common problem. On the wife's G6 its not bad and it didn't get any worse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got the noise fixed by the dealership. They replaced the steering intermediate shaft. No cost under warranty. Problem solved for now.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It will come back to haunt you. I have brought mine back to the dealership repeatedly but after a while, the clunking sound in the steering column always came back. There is no permanent fix for this defect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It will come back to haunt you. I have brought mine back to the dealership repeatedly but after a while, the clunking sound in the steering column always came back. There is no permanent fix for this defect.
Oh I know, my 03 Impala is plagued with this defect. I've replaced it a number of times. As long as it's under warranty I'll keep replacing it. :D

1 - 20 of 392 Posts