Pontiac G6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Panoramic Sunroof

We bought a sweet 2006 G6 with 38,000 miles and it drives wonerfully.
But am now having problems with the sunroof.
It is a panoramic sunroof that the first panel from the front had the "retaining(?)" pins fall out. These are the pins that hold that glass into the track at the back (or the part of the glass/track that goes up. If that makes sense).
And there are 2 "almost" square rubber parts that is on the track toward the front of the glass track that came out. I am assuming that these are for anti rattle(?).
I have taken it to 2 dealers in Indy that have been unable to get these parts for me and neither one of them have an exploded parts view or diagram for this sunroof.
That is so wrong!
I even called Pontiac and all they would do is referred me to Helm Publications so that i can buy the service manual for $135.
I've posted this issue before and so far no help in getting closer to identifying these parts.
Is there anyone out there that can help? Direct me? Guide me? Hehe!
I am desperate though.......
Pontiac, are you there?? Any service techs in this forum that can direct, guide or advise me?

Appreciate any feedback or help.

Also, the front brakes sqeak something awful. My wife gets embarrased from it. I plan to replace the pads with ceramic pads myself, and not using GM parts.
Any feedback on this would be great as well...I am most likely going to buy Wagner pads.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that maybe I will finally get some resolution with this.

I took it back to the closest Pontiac Dealer and the service man told me that he knows what they are. He had one just in that broke on a lady that ran thru a car wash and the suction of the wash broke hers.
So he says that it should be know problem getting it taken care of.

Hopefully!
Scheduled to go in next Tuesday.....

Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still have the knocking in the rear of my car...and I do have that steering pop others are talking about. Bad thing is my car has not been under warranty for several thousand miles, so I have to pay to have everything replaced. Anyone know about how much it costs to have the rack and pinion replaced?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I as well have a clunking noise when I turn and it's obviously something with the steering. It sounds like it is caused from the steering wheel when I turn. Does anyone know exactly what the issue is with that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Clunking noise in my car was corrected by replacing the intermediate shaft in the steering column.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I as well have a clunking noise when I turn and it's obviously something with the steering. It sounds like it is caused from the steering wheel when I turn. Does anyone know exactly what the issue is with that?
It's the intermediate steering shaft, and is a well known issue. Why GM hasn't recalled it, I have no idea, but there is a service bulletin for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So...how much does the intermediate shaft cost to replace?

Where is the service bulletin?...I'd like to print this out and keep in a file.
It's Technical Service Bulletin TSB #060232007 with an NHTSA ID of 10020816
Just do a Google search and you'll find it many places.

From what I've seen the intermediate shaft is between $300 and $400, but mine was replaced under warranty, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the intermediate shaft replaced in the G6 under warranty. When I changed it in my Impala it was about $120, I think. I'll have to go back and check my records.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When my 2006 G6 had 30,000 miles on it I had to replace the tires. Then at about 50,000 I had to replace the battery. I have also been to the dealer multiple times about the popping noise, flat (dead) spot in the steering, they have fixed it and it comes right back. I also keep getting a message about low coolant even though I keep adding collant, don't see any leaks, don't know where it's going. Had the power steering message come up on the radio repeatedly until the power steering failed while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Also the sunroof will not close if under 80 degrees outside. Roof pulls all the way forward but will not drop into place. I now have 73k miles on it, mostly highway. Don't know if I will buy another pontiac once this one is paid off, to me too many problems. No one wants to stand behind their products anymore. This tells me their either cutting costs be cutting quality or using cheap parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06 G6 Sedan with 55k miles. I have replaced, the rack n pinion once, 2 times had the electronic steering assist reprogramed, tie rods once, brake rotors rear 2 times, front rotors 1 time, pads all the way around 2 times. Now i having a problem with I believe it to be a sensor located right at the intake, (right side of Engine on top). I can fix it myself just need to know what its called? It causes the car to not start at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have an 07 gt with performance package and so far i've had to get new struts both sides, new steering colum, new control arm cause of the ball joint, new flex pipe wich is $800, new headliner, new window passenger side, new, not to metion all the **** ups with the dealers. but other then that the car is sick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 GTP are the 08 GXP's any better?

I have an 06 GTP with almost 38K on it. ive had a front axle replaced with in the first 10k. Ive had two steering shafts, my door locks replaced by 15k. and most recently my caliper boots were torn and had to be replaced as well. Thankfully i bought an extended warranty. I also have the road vibration your talking about, ive had an alignment, new tires, and several balances and same vibration. Im taking mine in on monday oct 20th to get it checked out.
IF anyone has an 08 GT or GXP please let me know if they are any better the reviews for the 06 model.

I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
panoramic roof

I had my panoramic roof fixed at 30k it was like i had a loose door on my car. the rattling noise was horrible. the dealership fixed it, said it had to be adjusted.

We bought a sweet 2006 G6 with 38,000 miles and it drives wonerfully.
But am now having problems with the sunroof.
It is a panoramic sunroof that the first panel from the front had the "retaining(?)" pins fall out. These are the pins that hold that glass into the track at the back (or the part of the glass/track that goes up. If that makes sense).
And there are 2 "almost" square rubber parts that is on the track toward the front of the glass track that came out. I am assuming that these are for anti rattle(?).
I have taken it to 2 dealers in Indy that have been unable to get these parts for me and neither one of them have an exploded parts view or diagram for this sunroof.
That is so wrong!
I even called Pontiac and all they would do is referred me to Helm Publications so that i can buy the service manual for $135.
I've posted this issue before and so far no help in getting closer to identifying these parts.
Is there anyone out there that can help? Direct me? Guide me? Hehe!
I am desperate though.......
Pontiac, are you there?? Any service techs in this forum that can direct, guide or advise me?

Appreciate any feedback or help.

Also, the front brakes sqeak something awful. My wife gets embarrased from it. I plan to replace the pads with ceramic pads myself, and not using GM parts.
Any feedback on this would be great as well...I am most likely going to buy Wagner pads.

Thanks

Ken

·
^I R CUSTOM^
77 Posts
My G6: Intermediate shaft, brake pads (still have vibration under braking, need to do rotors now). The car pulls to the left, but the dealer says the alignment is fine adn blamed it on the (aftermarket) tires - which i rotated adn still had pull to the left. I'm guessing the tires really are the suck, or my tie rod end is doing that AND the braking problem for a nice combined suck.

41 - 60 of 407 Posts