Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out a design for my engine cover. My G6 is dark blue and I'm thinking about accenting it with the light blue like Lampoon, but I don't want to do the realistic flames and copy him :p. I'm thinking about doing a really bold "PONTIAC" on it and have skulls on the inside of the letters...but IDK about the coloring. I could do black skulls with electric blue behind them and the body color for the rest of the cover...Or I could go with electric blue skulls, body color behind them, and the rest body color with a black outline around the letters...

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Do you want to know what I was gonna do before I did Chief Pontiac?

I cant really afford to now with my other project but I always thought it
would be bad asss to do Neo from the matrix when he was blue fire.

I even bought another cover and its still sitting in its box.

The guy who does my flames can do it too....

Figured that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!

If you cant picture him here he is:

He was my avatar at one time....long ago....

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
haha dont tell anyone!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so I've got my paint plan all figured out...now I've just got to do a little prep work to get the cover the way I want it and then I'll be ready to spray. Doing the actual painting won't take me long...My G6 GT has some rectangles that kind of "sink in" right where I'm going to put my lettering, so I have to fill these spots with some body filler and then get it smooth so you won't even know that they were there...I took a before picture and will be taking more pics as the project progresses.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's coming along great so far. All I really need right now is masking film, which is on the way via UPS...here's some pics.

bondo layer number 3

sanded down flat

primed. it's been sanded down and primered again and sanded a 3rd time just because I'm a perfectionist like that :rolleyes:

I'm going to go with my original idea. PONTIAC across the middle with skulls on the inside of the letters. The paint is all ready to go, I'm just making extra sure that I've prepped it the way I want it. I'm super excited because this is my first major experience with bondo and it's turning out great so far.

I might even throw a waterdrop effect into the basecoat around the letters to look like there's condensation. I haven't gotten that to work the way I want it to, but practice makes perfect.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
but that plastic bends rather easily and bondo doesnt. Arnt you worried about cracking?
Thats exactly what i was going to say.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
There is a more expensive type of bondo designed for plastics.
You might look into that...
cause like an ice cube tray- you may have just made 6 bricks....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Now he can build a wall.

I guess it look to be holding in fine but like they said i think it will crack, that cover is really flimsy. Almost feels like rubber.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, its good. I've been handling it rather carelessly to find out how durable it is. The cover doesn't really flex enough to make the bondo crack or anything...Besides, the bumpy design on the cover makes a good bonding surface. If it cracks or anything, I'll probably just cut out the rectangles and then fiberglass it all in one big piece.

Either way I'm not concerned right now. It isn't an important piece and won't hurt my car without it, so I can toy with it for as long as I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.