Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've googled and watched youtube videos about programming a keyfob and there is like 3 different ways to do it, and one of which takes like 30 minutes of to and from the car, not completely sure how I'd do it, another way involves an OBD thing or app.

I was just curious if anybody here has experience in reprogramming a key fob for a 2007 Pontiac G6.

Heres the pertinent information:

2007 Pontiac G6
Has DIC
The key seems to have a chip in it (It has the little plus symbol on the key)
The car seems to have a Vehicle Theft Protection system, because it engages when I lock up the car, but it doesn't trigger when I mess with the door handle, not sure if thats important but I'm throwing it in there.

The reason I think the chip is important, because assuming if it has a chip in the key, that would mean the car comes with keyfob support. I just bought this car yesterday without a keyfob, and I'm not sure if thats standard, but the person who bought the car originally didn't seem to care about cost, since he had woodgrain installed and the spoiler added to the back and its the 3.6L V6 instead of the 2.4L 4 Cylinder.

Sorry again, for asking questions on my first day here, just reaching out!

Many thanks,
Russell

·
RickMIT01
7 Posts
I purchased 2 key fob's and 1 programmer, and it works, however only up to 3 times, so program ALL of your fob's at the same time, remember to turn your key to on/started position, but you don't need to have the engine running.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
rather than pay a locksmith $75 for a key, I bought a key from china online (I think it was $5 with the chip) and then had a local locksmith duplicate only ($2 for a simple duplicate) programmed it myself with internet instructions.... and yes it worked (2006 GTP convertible), so I did it to my mom's (2007 GT convertible)... FOB wise though, we both got 2 FOB's from the dealers so we didn't have issues replacing FOB's.... but I found these instructions and saved them - the poster said they verified they did work for them.
The key instructions were very similar, so gives me confidence these aren't BS.

Transmitter Programming
No Tools Required
In the event that a transmitter is lost, program the old and the new transmitters into the memory of the remote control door lock receiver. Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed.

Important
Once the keyless entry receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information. You must then program all of the transmitters.

Program only 1 vehicle remote control door lock receiver at a time. If you program multiple receivers simultaneously, the same transmitter could possibly be programmed to more than 1 remote control door lock receiver.

Perform the following steps:

Sit in the vehicle driver's seat. (actually it’s much ezr from the front pass seat)
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Close all of the vehicle's doors.
Remove the MALL PGM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Electronic Diagnosis in Body and Chassis.
Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ACC position.
Turn the ignition lock cylinder OFF, then back to ACC within 1 second.
Open and then close any vehicle door. You will hear a chime when the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode. If you do not hear a chime, start again at step 1.

Important
After 7 seconds, you may hear a chime confirming successful synchronization. After approximately 14 seconds, you will hear a chime confirming successful programming.

Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds.
Repeat step 8 in order to program each additional transmitter.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Install the MALL PGM fuse back into the fuse panel. Refer to Electrical Diagnosis in Body and Chassis.
Validate that all the transmitters that were programmed operate properly. Refer to Keyless Entry System Operation

·
Registered
40 Posts
rather than pay a locksmith $75 for a key, I bought a key from china online (I think it was $5 with the chip) and then had a local locksmith duplicate only ($2 for a simple duplicate) programmed it myself with internet instructions.... and yes it worked (2006 GTP convertible), so I did it to my mom's (2007 GT convertible)... FOB wise though, we both got 2 FOB's from the dealers so we didn't have issues replacing FOB's.... but I found these instructions and saved them - the poster said they verified they did work for them.
The key instructions were very similar, so gives me confidence these aren't BS.

Remove the MALL PGM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Electronic Diagnosis in Body and Chassis.

Is it clearly labeled MALL PGM? I am looking at a diagram for the fuse box on the passenger side, and do not see any labeled locations for MALL PGM

Thanks.

-D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm gonna do the best I can to answer, but not sure it is the answer you are looking for.... As I said, I used the instructions to add a 3rd key [steel thing with teeth] to both those cars [key has a little plus sign in a circle meaning the key has a chip inside and the dealer wants $75 a pop for em], and *saved* the fob [plastic keyless computer toy] instructions but never used em... that said...

Pontiac called it MALL/PGM in the grand prix/sunfire/sunbird, etc... in the G6 apparently changed names... I found online a guy claims the MALL/PGM stands for "Multifunction Alarm Lock and Lighting" and PGM = "Programming"... that said in our cars, as you found no such label...

They (GM) combined that functionality with a ton of other sensor crap and called it BCM (Body Control Module).. so you could try 20,21, & 25 under the hood, but I would bet 16 in the trunk "Remote Keyless Entry System".

It may very well be that fob [plastic keyless toy] is now indeed dealer or computer only... most people who post here say they use a system they got on ebay that is good for 3 uses - comes with some sort of cheapo plug in "computer".

I googled a bit and did not find the original poster of the instructions nor anyone who claimed here's a set that works (besides one catfish site, who had 12 reviews all saying "BS, these instructions don't work".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok thank you. I haven't tried the fuse in the trunk yet. I might try it today since I don't have a whole lot going on anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you tried this out yet? Looks like they have 2 different methods for 2007 GM models. Tried finding something about it in the owners manual but GM would rather have it done themselves :/ Let us know if any of the wiki methods work!
Alternatively, you could call around for quotes from some dealers or locksmiths (dealer will prolly charge you $80, a smith runs about $35-$50, but you might get lucky. You can always try non-gm dealers like ford or chrysler too, nearly every major dealer and their mom sells a used GM car, so they might have a tech 2 on hand and might do it for cheap), or bring a 6-pack of beer to a local repair shop and make friends with a tech there who can do it real quick.

~Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts