Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone uses the manumatic mode on their G6GT? I have used it a couple of times and enjoy it. Just wish it had one or two more gears to mess around with.

A few questions though...what are some good speeds to use each gear? I pretty much know where they should be in upshifting or downshifting. But I don't know if I am doing any harm in doing it at a different speed than what it should be. My dealer just told me, up is to upshift, and down is to downshift. Didn't really say speed guidelines. Obviously I wouldn't downshift it to 2 or 1 going 80 (and I don't think it would let you anyways).

Generally I have been taking it easy since it barely has 1,000 miles on it. But these are just ballpark speeds I have been using. Am I close or way off what they should be. I know it could take more but just going easy on it for a while until it gets broke in and I get used to it.
First: 0-15
Second: 15-30
Third: 30-50
Fourth: 50+

What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Typically shifting isn't tied in with speed but the speed the engine revs at. If you're looking for power you typically want to run somewhat close to the redline (although not for too long) and if you're looking for fuel economy you upshift much earlier (like 2-3k RPMs before the redline).

As far as downshifting goes typically you only downshift just before you pass someone (to get in the more powerful, higher RPM band) or after you've slowed down significantly and the RPMs drop to 500 or so.

I'm not a very experienced manual shifter but that's the theory I was told. More experienced people can chime in and make me look like a fool if they want :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah I used mine all the time when I'm doing a bit more performance type of shifting. It hold the gears which i like. As gimli said it's all on the rpms. I'm glad I have that option. Really wish I had a manual but the wife can't drive a stick so this is the best of both worlds for us.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Actually, having some experience tuning my PCM in the Z... the shifting was all MPH based. Getting used to MPH shifts may prove more beneficial to you as Tachs tend to be inacurate (well..I cant be 100% on that as this car doesn't accelerate fast enough to outrun the tach like my old car did stock..) and you tend to be 'gunshy' when basing shifts from the tach.

I personally always went by sound and mph.... it just depends on how you want to do it. Of course Im used to a full manual valvebody.. hitting the rev limiter was not a fun experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S8ER99 said:
Actually, having some experience tuning my PCM in the Z... the shifting was all MPH based. Getting used to MPH shifts may prove more beneficial to you as Tachs tend to be inacurate (well..I cant be 100% on that as this car doesn't accelerate fast enough to outrun the tach like my old car did stock..) and you tend to be 'gunshy' when basing shifts from the tach.

I personally always went by sound and mph.... it just depends on how you want to do it. Of course Im used to a full manual valvebody.. hitting the rev limiter was not a fun experience.
Yeah, this was my logic too basing it on MPH. Actually, I have been messing around with it more trying different things. I have found that using both MPH and RPM's is better than one or the other. You can get a feel for engine noise and RPM's at the same time going off of speed to base when to shift. Kind of hard to explain.

I use the M mode for more performance shifting. I would much rather prefer a manual over this. But this is good enough for now. I have also found that using the M mode has increased the MPG for some reason. And this while driving/shifting faster over the slower driving I tend to in auto.

One more thing I forgot in my OP...Is it ok to switch from Auto mode to M (or from M to Auto) mode while driving? Or do you have to switch modes at a stop? I would hate to be driving 50 or so and feel the urge to switch modes and have something bad happen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used it when I first got it and it worked well but now it seems like the vehicle doesnt accelerate well when I use it. But it may be a problem with mine I'm not really sure. I'm use to manual transmissions so its not a problem with shift points.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts