Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea where to start with a project like this. I have a 2008 G6 base sedan and would like to add a nice system that goes BOOM! Help me lol

·
Legend
782 Posts
Buy this:
2 RE Audio SXX 12D4's
RE Audio XTX 5000.1 amp
0 gauge wiring kit
Custom ported enclosure (which I have A diagram I can send you with all the measurements for a perfect optimal box that will fit in the trunk.)
And a battery if you want. Xs power or kinetik brand.

Then best thing to do would get a new HU but if you want to keep stock just get a nice sound processor.

After all that you should be looking at roughly a little under a grand if you find deals on eBay for stuff or sonicelectronix.com but you will have the loudest G6 around if not system period bc those subs will beat the s**t out of your eardrums. Haha.

Also if you want to save a few bucks and don't care about brand matching you could go with a hifonics Brutus 2400.1 amp. It's a little cheaper but still pushes big power with quality.

And if that's to much money you could go with that systems baby brother

2 RE Audio SEX 12D4's wired to one ohm (you can find wiring diamgrams on Rockford fosgates website. Or RE audios website.)
Hifonics Brutus 1700.1
0 gauge wiring kit
No extra battery needed
And a new HU or sound processor.

That will also beat your face off lol but for around 600 or so bucks.

:beer:

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Legend
782 Posts
Just looked on www.sonicelectronix.com and they're having an awesome sale on subs and amps and sound processors right now. You can get the RE Audio SE-X 12D4's for $139 each which is an awesome deal. And the hifonics GLX1400.1 which is enough to run them for $139 so you could be bangin hard for under 500 bucks for an awesome system. If I had the money I would jump on them right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have so much to learn lol gonna look at those and make a list of how to budget that! This is my first car I've owned by myself so I wanna make her special :D

·
Legend
782 Posts
Lol just start reading and you'll learn a ton. Join an audio forum too and you'll learn a whole bunch over there as well. But getting that setup I mentioned will definitely start her off very special. Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
As long as you buy quality equipment, there's really no reason for 1700 watt amp. You could get a 600 watt Alpine wired to 2 ohm load. You can only turn it up soo loud...I'm not the attention seeker when it comes to my system, I go loud when outside of my neighborhoods just so I don't draw the attention of teenagers looking a different direction. I run 2 Alpine Type S 12's powered by MRP-M650 600 x 1. I even went low tech with my remote turn on, I cut an end off of a dual cigarette lighter adapter and just plug that in when I wanna feel the BOOM!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
IMO, go to a shop, take a listen to what they have and talk to their installers. Tell them what you want and listen to their ideas. Base your decisions off of what you want, while taking some input from them. Since you asked about this, I honestly wouldn't install it yourself. Get a reputable shop to do it and have them custom build a box to match the subs you choose.

Your budget will have a huge impact on what you can and cannot do. It's great to save money by buying online, but it's better to be able to hear what you buying before you buy it. Aswell, if you get a shop to install your system, buy from them. Very few shops like installing stuff that wasn't purchased from them.

The other thing to consider is the amount of power you want, especially if you want to keep the stock alternator. If you go with too much power, you will kill the alternator. You can add and extra battery, you can add a capacitor, but if your alternator can't provide enough power on its own, it will eventually die.

These are my recommendations on how to choose what to get:

Headunit: Decide what features you want, then choose one that has those features. You may have to compromise to stay within your budget.

Subs/speakers: Listen to a whole bunch of subs and speakers. Decide which sound best to you or meet the needs of what you are trying to accomplish.

Amps: You can run one amp, or multiple. Most 5 channel amps only have a sub channel of 500Wrms. If you want more than that, you will need to go to 2+ amps. Narrow down your amps based on the power of your speakers/subs and the load the amps can go down to to provide power. You will ruin an amp if it is only stable down to 2ohms and you wire it down to 1ohm.

Processors: These are optional, if you decide to stick with the stock headunit, it would be a good idea to get one that atleast will remove the bass reduction that the stock headunit does at higher volumes. The more expensive you go the more things they can do. The MTX RE-Q is popular and not too expensive. Higher end includes the JBL MS8 and Audison BitOne. I wouldn't bother with the BitOne though as it has to be manually tuned and can take even experienced sound engineers weeks to properly tune a car.

Wiring: The wiring you choose will be based off of the power of the system. It's fine to go bigger than required, but don't go lower. However there is no need to go with 0awg if your system only requires 8awg, you're just wasting money that way. Most kits have their power rating on the packaging, if you go that route. If you get multiple amps make sure the kit can support the power of both and you will need a distribution block to split the power in the rear.

Finally, you will require a dash kit, antenna adapter, steering wheel control module (if applicable) anda wiring harness. Metra makes all 3, so that is a good place to start looking. If you get a shop to install everything for you, they will already have all of this stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts