Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted some pics of the mirror and wiring install points at my new cardomain page. Here is the link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2326733

On the mirror, there are 2 wires. The one that is black with a red stripe, goes to a key on +, the one that is solid black goes to a ground. On the passenger side of the console, there is a pop off panel, gaining you access to the fuse box. There is a semi-thick green wire (key on) that you can tap in for the hot lead, and to your right of this there are a couple of excellent grounding points(use a 10 mm socket to loosen a nut, put a connector on the ground wire, install on stud, then retighten the nut). I had to take off the passenger side a-pillar trim (remove one screw, then it will pop out, it's held in by two additional clips). The wires tucked up in the headliner nicely. Any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would love to do that, but I have onstar. I bought an auto-dim mirror with compass and onstar off ebay, but that crazy gm data bus system or whatnot has made installing it impossible because i can't figure out how to power up the compass and/or auto dim featues...:(

·
Registered
42 Posts
ragingfish said:
I would love to do that, but I have onstar. I bought an auto-dim mirror with compass and onstar off ebay, but that crazy gm data bus system or whatnot has made installing it impossible because i can't figure out how to power up the compass and/or auto dim featues...:(
What do you want to know. If its a Gentex mirror i can help. Since i work there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
eatech3 said:
What do you want to know. If its a Gentex mirror i can help. Since i work there.
Crap, I just saw your reply now. I can't say for sure, but I THINK it IS a Gentex! It's an OEM mirror out of a cadillac I think, the codes on the back read 015322 GNTX-261. Does that mean anything to you?

·
Registered
42 Posts
cnagy65 said:
The G6 looks good on there. Im thinking of getting the gentex with just the compass. I wonder if the compass only mirror can be changed to red LED instead of the green.
Yes it can. i have done many.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ragingfish said:
Crap, I just saw your reply now. I can't say for sure, but I THINK it IS a Gentex! It's an OEM mirror out of a cadillac I think, the codes on the back read 015322 GNTX-261. Does that mean anything to you?
Well it tells me its a Gentex mirror. Is it a base (no compass or tempurature), compass, Comp/Temp?

·
Registered
42 Posts
ragingfish said:
it's an auto dim with compass and onstar capabilities...
Pin 13 is ignition. And pin 8 is ground. From the back of the connector. if you have it, it should tell you which pins are which.

Now unless the vehicle is setup for Onstar, it probably wont work. But the autodim and compass will.

·
Registered
169 Posts
eatech3 said:
Pin 13 is ignition. And pin 8 is ground. From the back of the connector. if you have it, it should tell you which pins are which.

Now unless the vehicle is setup for Onstar, it probably wont work. But the autodim and compass will.
thanks! i do have onstar, which is why i sprung for this particular one. another question: there's a second 4 wire mini white harness coming out the rear of the mirror. (see below) what is that supposed to connect to? and is the compass built into the mirror, or is there supposed to be an additional external part of it? because if so, i'm missing that part. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Uhhh, yeah thats the wire for the magneto. There is surposed to be a black plastic housing there with the magneto inside, so that means your missing it. With out that the compass will not work. Sorry i took so long, are you still missing the part?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes it is easy to take apart, but be carefull and dont break all the tabs. Plus if your laser is to strong you'll etch the glass and it pretty much looks like crap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can control the speed and power of the laser, it won't be a problem. We actually do mirrors here all the time, so I think it'll do a fantastic job on it. I can't wait, I've never thought of that mod before. I'll probably do it on my truck too. How does the auto dimmer work? Will it be affected by my laser?

Also, do you just take a screwdriver and pop it apart or what?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts