Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for the hell of it, I decided to warranty my pads all around.
I run Autozone C-max and I've been really happy with them.
There's one thing I've noticed.
The C-Max pads for the base are a different part number than the GT or GXP.

>The one on the right is the Base pad, the one on the left is the GT/GXP pad. Both fit perfectly fine, but the base pad has a smaller surface area until it wears and the pad material itself has a slightly different/smaller shape as well.
The pad on the left has more material and surface area.
The base pad also does not have the wear indicator tab that scratches on the rotor, the higher trim does.

>The base pad (right) clearly has less braking material on there compared to the GT/GXP (left). I don't get this either, the GT/GXP pads fit perfectly fine on the rotors behind my base calipers (still OEM)

Autozone sprays their stuff silver/chrome now, weird.

I just thought I'd share this little find, I don't know how it is with other parts stores, but at autozone for an 09 base G6 I4 or V6 it's the part number with the crappier pad, and all GT/GXP trims have the nicer pads with a wear indicator and more material.

(This is all for the Front brakes, the rear brakes part number is the same over all trims)

·
Registered
174 Posts
interesting.... i'd like to know though for my 2008 3.5L what would be the cheapest and best brake upgrade for front and rear including rotors and pads. and where can i find them?

edit: i heard that autozone is pretty good

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I went with R1 Concepts rotors. The e-line series, cheaper with no slotting or cross dilling. Those mated with the duralast Cmax pads with liftetime warranty front and rear. And I couldn't be happier, the rotors aren't even close to warping and I've been pretty hard on my brakes sometimes. IMO that's a good brake setup without spending the money in a bigger brake kit.

Some people buy different pads online, I went with the cmax just so its much easier for me to replace em down the road, no ordering or shipping, just go and swap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
any links to where i can buy directly? :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Only brake setup i hve found to be efective is running akebono pads all around and going back to gm rotors 75,00 on this setup AKEBONO Part # ACT1028 for the front 43.00 on rockauto.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts