Pontiac G6 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to the dealership and the guy told me that my cd player wasn't xm capable... :mad: Here is a pic of it and maybe someone can confirm if it is or isn't. When I push the band button it only goes between am fm fm2, no xm preview but the back of the cd player has a spot for a connector that torridpsu says is for the xm harness.

Attachments

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
I went to the dealership and the guy told me that my cd player wasn't xm capable... :mad: Here is a pic of it and maybe someone can confirm if it is or isn't.
That guy was so totally on drugs... and not the good kind, either! :crazy: Your radio is indeed XM ready, and if you wanted to add the uPAC or similar adapter, it will work fine.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Nackles. I'm assuming you're not interested in the XM, just the AUX IN? Well, as others have said, that is the correct stereo for XM, but if the spot in the back had no cables in it already, then you may not have the XM adapter in your car? If this is the case, I'm not sure that you will be able to convince a dealership to unlock your stereo?

I don't know this for a fact, but I could imagine a dealership telling you that they can't unlock the stereo without the XM module (and this may be true, but I doubt it, esp because I believe that port also works for a CD changer too).

Personally I would try a few more dealerships if it were me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No I don't care about the actual XM radio and no it doesn't have the module in it. I guess what it amounts to is that I have no cheap options. I hate those fm modulator things. Is that metra thing the only alternative when using an aftermarket stereo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
G6 GT Convertible

Yo G6 owners! Great site, great info!

Just wanted to add a few details of my aux input adventure in my '07 GT convertible. The car has the 6 CD radio and XM that goes to preview when I select it from the band button (actually XM1 & XM2). I have no intention of using Sirius or XM so using Pandora, or something similar on my EVO will fit my needs.

The work that torridpsu did applies to any headphone output device so I decided to go that route. I didn't actually want to hack the original harness so I bought a PGHGM3 harness from sonicelectonix.com for about $16 w/ shipping. Then a trip over to R'Shack, I picked up a 2 pack 1/8" panel jack for $3 (#274-249) and some heat shrink tubing for $6 (#278-1627).

The harness came in and I looked at what I needed to strip out of it. Essentially unwrap the whole thing and pull the wiring apart so you can follow them. The 12 pin plug & jack are all you need. I removed the 3 pins from the XM radio side of the harness and cut the other 3 wires at the adapter box end of the harness. All that is left is the unused brown wires and the 3 wires that go back to the radio side of the 12 pin jack.

(Unused parts on the left, good stuff on the right)

Next, to figure out which wire goes to which pin I did some searching and testing and found that on the PGHGM3 harness (from this vendor) the grey wire is the right channel, the white wire is the left channel, and the black w/white stripe is the ground. On the panel jack the tip is the left channel, the ring is the right channel and the sheild is the ground. As a note the factory color codes are green w/white for right, brown w/white for left, and the tan is the ground.

(Left - PGHGM3, right - Factory XM)

(Panel jack)

For reference I have these photos of the backside of the radio with and without the 12 pin connector.

Solder the wires to the jack (protect your console with a towel or something!) and use some shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints. Test your connections to the radio.

I mounted the jack in top panel of the console pocket. That way I can run the headphone cable out of there to my player or, if unplugged, it is unseen. I finished by taping the entire adapter harness.

I found the volume level is a bit low from the EVO to the radio. To adjust for this I run the EVO 1 click down from maximum and I set the EQ in the radio like a pre-amp, adjust the treb, mid, & bass up by 5 clicks each then adjust the sound preference from there. This gets the volume level close to the FM and CD.

Just wanted to give back, with help from this site I am enjoying my aux, enjoy yours!

-Jon

:beer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yo G6 owners! Great site, great info!

Just wanted to add a few details of my aux input adventure in my '07 GT convertible. The car has the 6 CD radio and XM that goes to preview when I select it from the band button (actually XM1 & XM2). I have no intention of using Sirius or XM so using Pandora, or something similar on my EVO will fit my needs.

The work that torridpsu did applies to any headphone output device so I decided to go that route. I didn't actually want to hack the original harness so I bought a PGHGM3 harness from sonicelectonix.com for about $16 w/ shipping. Then a trip over to R'Shack, I picked up a 2 pack 1/8" panel jack for $3 (#274-249) and some heat shrink tubing for $6 (#278-1627).

The harness came in and I looked at what I needed to strip out of it. Essentially unwrap the whole thing and pull the wiring apart so you can follow them. The 12 pin plug & jack are all you need. I removed the 3 pins from the XM radio side of the harness and cut the other 3 wires at the adapter box end of the harness. All that is left is the unused brown wires and the 3 wires that go back to the radio side of the 12 pin jack.

(Unused parts on the left, good stuff on the right)
Next, to figure out which wire goes to which pin I did some searching and testing and found that on the PGHGM3 harness (from this vendor) the grey wire is the right channel, the white wire is the left channel, and the black w/white stripe is the ground. On the panel jack the tip is the left channel, the ring is the right channel and the sheild is the ground. As a note the factory color codes are green w/white for right, brown w/white for left, and the tan is the ground.

(Left - PGHGM3, right - Factory XM)
(Panel jack)

For reference I have these photos of the backside of the radio with and without the 12 pin connector.

Solder the wires to the jack (protect your console with a towel or something!) and use some shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints. Test your connections to the radio.

I mounted the jack in top panel of the console pocket. That way I can run the headphone cable out of there to my player or, if unplugged, it is unseen. I finished by taping the entire adapter harness.

I found the volume level is a bit low from the EVO to the radio. To adjust for this I run the EVO 1 click down from maximum and I set the EQ in the radio like a pre-amp, adjust the treb, mid, & bass up by 5 clicks each then adjust the sound preference from there. This gets the volume level close to the FM and CD.

Just wanted to give back, with help from this site I am enjoying my aux, enjoy yours!

-Jon

:beer:
Not sure you still post here, but can you or anyone post a diagram of this. I can't seem to follow this write up correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing to diagram really, the key is getting the right, left, and ground from your audio device into the right, left, and ground XM port of the radio.

The worst part for me was disassembling the dash.
Which part is tripping you up?
Does your radio have an activated XM module?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just came across this post but this is what I did along time ago after I deactivated my XM radio. Recently I wanted to reactivate Xm so I used a 3PDT switch. Basically u put the L/R/Ground off the radio's XM input to the center pins, L/R/Ground of your aux on one side and L/R/Ground of the XM on the other. The result is that you push the button to switch between your AUX and XM while the radio is on XM band.

FM modulator do not transmit bass well because it uses the same modulation that FM radio does. Since this is a direct wire connection you get a better quality sound.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nothing to diagram really, the key is getting the right, left, and ground from your audio device into the right, left, and ground XM port of the radio.

The worst part for me was disassembling the dash.
Which part is tripping you up?
Does your radio have an activated XM module?
What's confusing me is your last picture compared to picture 3 and 5. Picture 3 and 5 show a gray connector that has 3 wires in it but your last picture shows the final product with the gray connector having what looks like more than 3 wires in it. Is it just a bad picture? Does the blue/black connector hook into the XM equipment or just hang free? What really threw me off was the first picture almost looked like it had a green wire as one of the 3 wires, but I enlarged it and finally cleared that thought up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@ cd
yeah, cellphone pic colors aren't always the best, especially in fluorescent light.
the important pics are #1, 3, and 9.

pic #1 shows the disassembled harness kit (the part you need in the middle), #3 shows the new 12 pin connector compared to the factory 12 pin connector (the wire color details are in the text), and #9 shows the finished product before it is plugged in.

you end up with the two connectors, a female - gray connector that plugs into the factory harness and a male - blue / black connector that plugs into the radio and the 3 wires for the audio jack.

note the new harness has wires in all positions where the factory only has the 3 which is what you see in pic #3 (at least in my case).

best o luck!

@ g2k

good tip on the switch and would have considered this if I kept XM.
have Pandora on the EVO so I never considered paying for yet another service.
I never had any luck with the FM xmitters either, hard wiring made my ears much happier.

:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
You just turn your radio to XM and you hear your phone correct, no AUX mode? For some reason I can't get mine into AUX mode like some of the instructions for some of these adapters tell you to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@ cd
there is no adapter here, just a wiring harness splice that fools the radio into treating the headphone jack audio like it is XM audio.

the radio (mine in this case) changes bands with the band switch, FM1, FM2, XM1, XM2, and AM. nothing says AUX or anything like that.

so if I select XM1 or XM2 whatever I have connected to the headphone jack plays through the radio.

-enjoy!

::D:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well x44+ I followed your step by step after my initial confusion and everything went smooth as butter. Actually sounds really good streaming pandora off of my droid 2 and I actually have good enough service to stream uninterrupted. You've made me a happy camper, thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
CD,

was your XM previously activated? I'm a little confused about the XM activation thing. I know my radio is XM ready, but can I just do the work that you and X44+ did and instantly be able to use the function?

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you follow the directs posted by X44+, once you put your radio on XM mode it will only play what ever you hook up to the auxiliary cable.

If you follow my directions, you will be able to toggle between XM radio and the auxilary cable when your radio is on XM mode.

Just to clarify, following either directions does not give you and Auxiliary mode on your radio as you press the Band button, it only piggy backs into the connection the XM receiver uses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CD,

was your XM previously activated? I'm a little confused about the XM activation thing. I know my radio is XM ready, but can I just do the work that you and X44+ did and instantly be able to use the function?
I don't believe it will matter because you take that harness and hook in only one side of it. It won't even be going to your XM equipment anymore.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts