Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace passenger side axle seal on my 2.4, but cannot find anything noting potential issues. Anything to watch out for?

Also, experienced for the first time a drastically low oil drain (just below 2.5 quarts drained, 5 to fill). Always changed right about 5k (before oil monitor), with mobile 1 since new, and never had that happen. Any thoughts?

Just starting to replace suspension and front end stuff, and I'd love to keep her on the road as long as I can, as it's served us well for 8 years or so now.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
How many miles?
I recently just crossed 100k on my 2.4 and have found myself adding oil too.
I commute on the highway though and change my oil less frequently than you (I use mobil 1 extended performance)
But I do find myself adding about a half quart to a quart every few thousand miles.

From my research its been known the valve guides wear out allowing more oil to fall down the valve and get burned.
I know I'm not leaking so I must be burning it. But its not at such a bad rate that the exhaust is smoking.

The way I see it. No blue smoke from the exhaust then it's within normal oil consumption specs and I just have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just went over 87,000 on an '06.

Also not seeing smoke, nor is it leaking (at least to the ground, garage kept), so I'll also just be keeping an eye on it.

(any tips on axle seal replacement? ;))

·
4,060 Posts
Make sure you have a seal puller

and this slide hammer adaptor makes pulling out the axle very easy. you can rent it from autozone along with the puller if you don't have one.

I replaced my pass side about 40,000 miles ago with Timken brand and haven't had any problems since.
......Just realized your 2.4 should still be the same general idea

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My oil consumption really started about 70-75k so maybe that's what you've got going on.
probably right. it was a sudden drop, and I'm glad I switched over the the mobil 1 extended/75,000+ engine life stuff. From what I've read since, Mobil 1 likes to burn more than some other oils, so I'm going to switch it up each change and see where I get with that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts