Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2010 G6 and last night the car would not start, I gave it a jump and it started right up. I drove it around for a while to charge up the battery again and parked it at home. I turned it off and started it right back up no problem.

I go to leave for work today and it won't start again, I get some lights on the dash and I hear it clicking, but it wont turn over. After a few tires the battery completely died again, no lights or anything.

I can't tell if the battery is bad, or the alternator, how would I check? Should I pull the alternator out and check/test it at autozone?

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
We have a 2010 G6 and last night the car would not start, I gave it a jump and it started right up. I drove it around for a while to charge up the battery again and parked it at home. I turned it off and started it right back up no problem.

I go to leave for work today and it won't start again, I get some lights on the dash and I hear it clicking, but it wont turn over. After a few tires the battery completely died again, no lights or anything.

I can't tell if the battery is bad, or the alternator, how would I check? Should I pull the alternator out and check/test it at autozone?
I vote bad battery. Before you bust your knuckles taking the alternator out, instead remove the battery and have it tested first.

Doug

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I vote bad battery. Before you bust your knuckles taking the alternator out, instead remove the battery and have it tested first.

Doug

Are the alternators hard to remove on the G6?

I am going to test it today by jump starting it and then removing the positive terminal to see if the alternator is maintaining the voltage.

I am almost positive it's the battery, the sticker on it says 9/2010 and here in AZ we are lucky to get 1-2 years out of a battery.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am going to test it today by jump starting it and then removing the positive terminal to see if the alternator is maintaining the voltage.
that is a very dangerous thing to do on any modern car. u risk creating a voltage spike that can destroy electronic systems.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Are the alternators hard to remove on the G6?
I don't think so. But I was thinking it'd be easier to get the battery out than the alternator. (OTOH, on my 07 Impala SS, it's a royal pain to get the battery out.)

FWIW, in my experience with dead batteries, it's always been the battery. I haven't had to put a new alternator in anything in 15 years.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
A bad alternator will usually produce a battery light on the dash and you'll have 12 volts or less while running. A bad battery just may loose charge over time or all at once. But if while your diving everything works. Lights nice and bright, and you get 14 volts then its likely the battery. How old is that battery and what kind? If its still an AC delco battery replace it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't end up doing that test after seeing the replies here, this is the only car I own that is not 20+ years old so I forgot about the fancy-smancy electronic systems these cars have.

I replaced the battery, we are good to go again for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quickest way to check alternator output is when car is running, put a volt meter across the battery terminals(red on POS post and black on NEG post) and see what the reading is. A good alternator will show a reading of around 13.5 volts. If it reads less than 13V, its on it's way out. Also, if it is a known good battery and alternator is charging correctly, there could be a parasitic draw somewhere in the electrical system that is draining the charge from the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guitar Heroo is correct. with the car running check the voltage at the battery if it is less then 13.5 volts then the alternator is bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 07 GTP with the 3.6L Brand new alternator and Brand new battery. still not getting 13 volts. battery light is on not sur what I can do now.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Doug

See I'm having the same problem...first my starter went out replaced it now lights on dash and locks go crazy it starts up drives lil bit then the steering starts to lock up everything goes crazy so I buy a battery replaced the wires and terminals checked all connection same thing so now I'm about to replace the alternator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts