Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2005 G6 GT, the rear passenger side door looks fine when it is dry. However, after it gets wet, the door pops out! Take a look at these pictures I took and if you have any thoughts as to why my door gets like this, please fill me in.

Attachments

· Registered
292 Posts
accident repair probably, it could be a door swapped from another black g6 or its a auto-body painter who should be fired. the only that would completely fix this is to repaint it. Have you tried any wax or other polishes?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
accident repair probably, it could be a door swapped from another black g6 or its a auto-body painter who should be fired. the only that would completely fix this is to repaint it. Have you tried any wax or other polishes?
Yeah, I've tried Meguiar's Cleaner Wax followed by ScratchX then Tech Wax 2.0 and whenever the door gets wet it looks like the pics. I may just save enough to get the whole car repainted if I'm going to get something repainted. Still, it makes me quite upset.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks big time. Maybe a shop can fix it for a good price, looks like cheap ass clear coat.
Yeah, I'll have to ask a friend's dad about it. He is part owner of a body shop and may be able to get me a discount. I just don't want my door to look like new and the rest of the car to look older.

· Registered
103 Posts
it might be an accident repair and they used a diff black with a diff shade.
i have a crimson red g6 and a 66 impala that i had painted porsche red the colors are identical during the day at night my impala looks orange and the g6
is still red.:)
so why not paint just the door to its original g6 blk, just my thought.:D

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now here's a good question. Anyone think that a manufacturer warranty would somehow cover this? The car was sold used to me and I had no idea that the door was like that untill I started washing my car myself. I know it's a slim chance, but does anyone think the warranty would cover it?

· Registered
292 Posts
I know it's a slim chance, but does anyone think the warranty would cover it?
I think you might be dreaming on that one, especially for an '05. however I don't discourage trying, you never know. But if that is the case make sure you let me know, maybe they will fix the ding in my front bumper... lol.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you might be dreaming on that one, especially for an '05. however I don't discourage trying, you never know. But if that is the case make sure you let me know, maybe they will fix the ding in my front bumper... lol.
Yeah, I know, wistful thinking at it's best! I'll explore my options. Thank you everyone for your contributions. I very much appreciate your help.

· Love my commute!
144 Posts
Can you feel a difference in the texture of the paint when you run your hand across the door vs the rest of the car?

When you wax/polish does your polishing pad come away black?

That is actually quite fascinating. I'd say it looks like a single stage paint that's seen more than its fair share of sunlight yet it only happens when it's wet...which is crazy.

This one is almost worth going to Texas to see in person.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Can you feel a difference in the texture of the paint when you run your hand across the door vs the rest of the car?

When you wax/polish does your polishing pad come away black?

That is actually quite fascinating. I'd say it looks like a single stage paint that's seen more than its fair share of sunlight yet it only happens when it's wet...which is crazy.

This one is almost worth going to Texas to see in person.
It really is bizzare. When I fully detail the car(wash and wax), it looks brand new. Then after a good soak, the door looks like a nightmare.
I've buffed the door with Meguiar's ScratchX and no black paint transfer occurred.
I'll see if the texture is any different, since I haven't thought of doing that.

This is my car detailed. Same side with the messed up door.

· Registered
44 Posts
I agree thats some weird stuff happening there but your paint looks good so i wouldnt paint the whole car just paint the door a good rule of thumb is 2 to 300 bucks a panel so i wont cost too much besides that unless your willing to pay to have parts removed like light door handles moulding etc u run the risk of leaving tape line's something the factory piant doesnt have so why mess with a good thing if u dont have to, it will look differant but only cause that door will have fresh paint after a couple washes and wax's if its a good paint match u wont even notice but thats just me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.