Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where to start, I have this odd vibration/noise that happens everytime I drive now. The steering wheel pulls VERY slightly from left to right, and it seems to go right along with the same noise I am hearing from somewhere behind the dash area.

Some background, the car was in an accident back in 2013, it was repaired, but I am not 100% sure they got everything under the hood or if they just did enough to make it look like it did before the crash. I was just told that ALL my motor mounts are broken (3 tranny, 1 motor?) and I also have a slightly bent rim that was repaired, but I do feel a slight vibration going over 85. I also need new front struts/shocks according to the oil change place I was just at.

So with the multiple issues, I am not sure where to start. My local shop is quoting $800 to do all the mounts, but I don't know if that's the actual cause of the noise or not. How do I even go about determining what is causing the noise and vibration?

·
Registered
91 Posts
There was a recall for cars with electric steering a few years ago. Do you know if your car had it done?

The mounts hold your engine firmly in place, so that could be the cause of your vibration. As you hit higher speeds, the engine's using more power so the vibration would grow. Here's a not so great video, but it might give you an idea.

I haven't done motor mounts before, but here's a sort of okay video on how to do them. The guy's a bit of a goof, but the video's aren't bad.

Depending on the oil change place, they might be exaggerating the shocks and struts. Usually places that are $30 for an oil change up sell like crazy to make their money. If you're driving and you hit a bump and your car bounces like crazy, your shocks/struts might be gone. You can also push down on the four corners of the car and if it bounces a lot then they're bad.

If you end up wanting to change them, here's a few how to videos. You could do them yourself since it's more tedious than anything, especially if they're stuck in there good.

My G6 was also in an accident in 2012 when it was hit on its side. It took about six months of pressuring the shop and the insurance company since they just kept giving it alignments and saying I kept running over curbs, etc.. to ruin the alignment. When they finally dug into it, they found the impact had damaged the steering column, steering rack and steering module. They had to replace all three, but once they did it worked perfectly. However, if that had been your car you likely would've noticed it immediately after the accident. It's still a possibility your car could have a similar issue. I think the broken motor mounts are the likely culprit.

Unfortunately, once you get in an accident it can start jarring things loose or accelerate things breaking down on the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts