Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice please! My CEL came on today in my 2010 Pontiac G6 with the 2.4L motor and I checked and found 2 codes:

P0013 - Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open (Bank 1)
P0014 - Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1)

From my research I believe bank 1 refers to the front of the motor on a 4cyl but I am am not sure.

I found some old posts on people replacing the intake/exhaust solenoids on the top of the motor, however I didn't want to just start replacing things without knowing that is the cause. I had some electrical/wiring issues in the past and wondering if that could be related, or if this is usually just a sign of a bad part? Should I start with a multimeter and check for high resistance on the top solenoids or will I need to be looking for the other 2, which I belive one is on drivers side and one the back but I am finding conflicting diagrams.

Please help as this is my only form of transportation currently and going without a car in Phoenix is brutal!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also can I use Dorman or should I pay a little more for AC Delco at Autozone?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Codes P0013 and P0014 are for bank 1. However...an inline 4 cylinder engine only has one "bank". What they are calling banks are actually the camshafts. Those codes point to the exhaust camshaft. I would pay a little more for the AC Delco parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Codes P0013 and P0014 are for bank 1. However...an inline 4 cylinder engine only has one "bank". What they are calling banks are actually the camshafts. Those codes point to the exhaust camshaft. I would pay a little more for the AC Delco parts.
Thank you, that makes more sense regarding the bank location. Should I start with the exhaust solenoid on top of the motor? I found many videos on YouTube, it looks like a straight forward repair. Should I replace the intake as well just to be safe? Or do I need to locate the other ones on the side/back of the motor? I cannot find a reliable diagram of where these are actually located outside of the ones on top.

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
114 Posts
Everything in this post is incorrect. Bank one on any engine is where number one cylinder is located. On a 4 cylinder engine if it says Bank 1 to lean or too rich it means that the engine itself is running too lean or too rich. The bank one specification does not change just because the engine changed. It does not refer to camshafts. It never refers to camshafts. Those codes are generated when the intake and exhaust camshaft actuators need to be replaced. This is a known issue for all ecotec engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Everything in this post is incorrect. Bank one on any engine is where number one cylinder is located. On a 4 cylinder engine if it says Bank 1 to lean or too rich it means that the engine itself is running too lean or too rich. The bank one specification does not change just because the engine changed. It does not refer to camshafts. It never refers to camshafts. Those codes are generated when the intake and exhaust camshaft actuators need to be replaced. This is a known issue for all ecotec engines.
Thank you for your reply and for the clarification. Based on what I can find the exhaust camshaft actuator is the one on top of the motor right? Should I replace the intake as well just for good measure? Autozone calls them VVT solenoids so I wasn't sure if I am buying the right parts. Going to get ACDelco to be safe .

I think I have the right parts according in my cart. Luckily the videos make this seem pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
114 Posts
I would do them together. If one is going bad, the other is not far behind. I used to work for a GM dealer, and we always did them in pairs. It's just good practice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would do them together. If one is going bad, the other is not far behind. I used to work for a GM dealer, and we always did them in pairs. It's just good practice.
Thanks! Going to pick up the parts on my lunch break and swap them out this weekend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Actually....I was incorrect. There is only "bank 1" . However....There is Camshaft "A" and Camshaft "B". If you had codes P0010 and P0011 those would have pointed to the "A" Intake camshaft. The "B" Exhaust camshaft is on the firewall side of the engine.

I'm so surprised that Chevy dealership flat rate mechanics would replace both acuators. Probably both sensors as well. That would be a pretty hefty bill.
s

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
114 Posts
Actually....I was incorrect. There is only "bank 1" . However....There is Camshaft "A" and Camshaft "B". If you had codes P0010 and P0011 those would have pointed to the "A" Intake camshaft. The "B" Exhaust camshaft is on the firewall side of the engine.

I'm so surprised that Chevy dealership flat rate mechanics would replace both acuators. Probably both sensors as well. That would be a pretty hefty bill.
s
You come to the dealer, your gonna pay. We had good service writers that loved to club people. Of course, as techs we never turned down work. Gotta turn those hours.

·
Registered
205 Posts
^^^^^ Hahahaha I can't tell if you are joking of just being truthful because you are pretty much hitting the nail on the head. Had a brother -in-law that lost his mechanic's job at a Honda dealership because he was only turning an average of 60 flat rate hours a week. Actually, he was SLOW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

s
Does this mean I shouldn't be replacing the ones on top, or since it doesn't specify A or B and just Bank 1 only am I okay doing these? I bought the parts but did not install yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well...your trouble codes ( P0013 p0014 ) are pointing to an EXHAUST camshaft problem. I would just replace that one but, it would do no harm to replace both if they were not that expensive. After you install the new part/s you will need to erase the codes. Hoping these will not reset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!! I am going to buy and replace both just to be safe. I just wanted to make sure it was the one on top of the motor under the plastic and not the other ones on the side or back of motor.

I also discovered a gas smell when outside the car today, it's only after driving, could that be related at all? I had the elbow above the gas tank replaced when it rotted out back in 2015 and thinking that could be rotting out again due to dry (Arizona) conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No worries, thank you for all your help. I will make a new thread about the gas smell and will replace the intake/exhause vvt solenoids this week/weekend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Will need to be relearned with a computer at dealership unless u have one on hand
He isn't replacing the sensors, just the solenoids ( acuators ). If that doesn't fix the problem, sensors are next. He only needs to clear the codes P0013, P0014 and then see if they come back again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I enjoy our forum. I realize that my car is a 2009 G6 GT Convertible, with three previous owners and I bought my 'bargain,' at a (low on the scale), USED CAR LOT, --hence, since my little 'jewel' is 12+ years old, it will have issues. Herein are a few thoughts for all to ponder: 1. Write down in a tablet the following headings: DATE, PROBLEM, SOLUTION, COST. 2. Set up a selective schedule of Remove and Replace items... A. Every other gas fill-up: Check the oil level, and (when the motor is cool), open the Anti-Freeze cap and see if it is still full, and check the air in all tires, including your spare tire; B. Every 5-to- 7,000 miles: Change the oil and the Air filters (including your cockpit filter), check your tires with a gauge to see if your tires are wearing evenly; C. Every 25,000 miles have your alignment checked, and if off, have an alignment done; check all safety devises checked; change all fuses (BMW discovered that modern fuses need changed this often), -- the remainder of this check-off list is in your owner's manual, or on-line.

Hat's off to all and good day. P.R. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts