Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
So....BMW wants to change all your fuses every 25,000 miles. I'm sorry but I don't think I will listen to anything makers of over engineered crap has to say about maintenance. :) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
So....BMW wants to change all your fuses every 25,000 miles. I'm sorry but I don't think I will listen to anything makers of over engineered crap has to say about maintenance. :) :)
Don't read... uh... Did you know the 'Over Engineered' designed the 4 cylinder and V6 3.5 motor in the G6 Pontiac? Hmm... maybe YOU should READ more... huh.... ?

By the way, as a friendly mention, in my writing, I often include trivia I might think reinforces a stream of logic and, thought process, to make for a solidified fortification of my prose for possible morons, which is an entreat, a mention, as a byproduct of the aforementioned statement of factual documentary entry which they MIGHT understand. It occurs to me that the above writer might have a hidden hatred which has accidently expelled itself, after reading about those German craftsmen from the old country... 'Over There...." :eek::coffee:(n)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don' hate "German craftsmen". I used to have a BMW 2002 that I loved but sadly rusted to death in New York state. I would not touch a new BMW even if I could afford one. I appreciate your trivia but are you going to change your fuses every 25,000 miles ? Gosh, I wish my G6 had a water cooled alternator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don' hate "German craftsmen". I used to have a BMW 2002 that I loved but sadly rusted to death in New York state. I would not touch a new BMW even if I could afford one. I appreciate your trivia but are you going to change your fuses every 25,000 miles ? Gosh, I wish my G6 had a water cooled alternator.
Hmmm.... OOh By Gosh By Golly... As I tried to lift the 40 gallon Water Cooler over my G6 hood, to cool off the alternator, it rubbed against my cranium, uh... the part containing the brain... and Geez... all of the water spilled out and my head and my alternator were both cooled. Aha !!! A new invention; a water cooled alternator !!!And now that I am cool... on with the show !

I also owned a BMW, a Z4 (Hardtop Convertible), and like with my SLK 350 Mercedes (Hardtop Convertible), I went in another direction ...dada... my G6 (Hardtop Convertible), with the Beemer-designed 3.5 motor, and the Mercedes-designed Hardtop Roof. But the 2009 G6 is easy for my 78 year old posterior to get in-to/out-of, so I am almost giddy with hilarity, each and every day... and nighttime too.

Incidentally, an Italian (Porche), designed the German Volkswagen, as well as the Military 1 (We dubbed, "The Thing)," and the Karmann-Ghia for Heir Adolph... and America's GM borrowed the idea of, "Out-sourcing," and so now our motors, and tops are German, our tires are French/Japanese/Korean/Texan and our fenders are Chinese, and we no longer have a tail end... Ha! But, let not your soul be troubled, for assembly is all moving to Mexico. :)

Take care. P.R.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hmmmm. About the water cooled alternator...many if not all newer BMW's have water cooled alternators that attach directly to the head. I believe the the quaint 3.5 engine is derived from the ***40***year old 60 degree 2,8 engine. I doubt that BMW was designing cam-in- block, pushrod engines at that time. Also....I'm 85 so how do you like them apples ? :) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well this topic went off the rails a little bit! I swapped both of the solenoids this weekend, I have driven approx. 10-15 miles so far and outside of a slight sutter at a red light everything has been smooth and no check engine light.

I did encounter two possible issues, the first was there was a residue/liquid inside of the air intake that I discovered when pulling the engine cover. I have a photo below:

I don't think it's oil, it didn't feel/smell like oil but was black and gritty like sandy wet gel, thicker than water. Could this be condensation buildup mixed with sand and just dark colored from exhaust? It was only in the engine cover section and the tube as shown, nothing in the filter or closer to the intake manifold that I could find. The color was more like a rusty water inside the plastic cover, but more like a dark brown liquid inside the intake flex tube.

IMG_20210515_101137014.jpg

The other issue I found is when I pulled the exhaust solenoid there was some plastic and gunk around the bottom. I am not sure if the little plastic sleeve came loose when I pulled it out or if it was like this inside the engine. I did not find the full sleeve, could a tiny piece of plastic cause any major damage internally?

IMG_20210516_151003254.jpg

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hmmmm. About the water cooled alternator...many if not all newer BMW's have water cooled alternators that attach directly to the head. I believe the the quaint 3.5 engine is derived from the ***40***year old 60 degree 2,8 engine. I doubt that BMW was designing cam-in- block, pushrod engines at that time. Also....I'm 85 so how do you like them apples ? :) :)
As Dan says. Per Wikipedia, the 3.5 (and 3.9) were GM in-house engines whose lineage dated back to the X-body cars (Chevy Citation et al of '79) and were the last of the line developed when the all-aluminum, twin cam "High Feature" V6's first appeared in '04. As for the roof, that was a joint venture development with Karmann whose technology was shared with other retractables that GM produced around the same era (Cadillac XLR, Chevy SSR pickup) as well as the Chrysler Sebring and Volkswagen EOS. (The EOS was the longest lived as it was built from '06 to '15.). I haven't seen any mention of MBZ being involved though I know they've built their own. (Can't match Dan's age though as I'm only 71.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry for the pissing contest. Did you check the air filter? Did you taste the fluid ?
I did check the air filter and there was no residue or liquid, it doesn't appear to be making it that far it's only going 2-3" into the intake tube. I did not taste the fluid, I ended up just wiping it all out with paper towels so I can check for future build up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I did some searching and this seems to be common with the ecotec motors, I found posts on the malibu/acadia forums with people saying they always have the condensation build up? My concern is how close it was to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did some searching and this seems to be common with the ecotec motors, I found posts on the malibu/acadia forums with people saying they always have the condensation build up? My concern is how close it was to the intake manifold.
Darn ! Seems as though we have "an Old Geezer," tabloid here... And I was happy to have found an informative forum... I note the intensity of research... obviously the outcome of having too much time on those wrinkled hands, such that, we go back, way back into those thrilling days of yesteryear... WHEN MEN WERE MEN... AND WOMEN WERE 'SECRETARIES!' I prefer dry humor. Wow... just think... we are discussing a 'wet,' issue... I will attempt to stay on-subject hereinafter... but please note, I was a, 'standup comedian,' until the crowd shouted, "Sit Down!!!"

Likely as not, the Eco-tech motors all have the same condensation buildup, since they all are essentially the same platform. Taking a G6, which is no longer produced, to a Dealer should only be done in desperation. The entire unit operates on Clock Time, and as earlier noted, people lose employment if they fail to cheat the peasants for as much dinero as possible for as little service as possible. My sage advise is to find an honest mechanic and let the mechanic do the research. I have my lantern out nights, looking for ONE honest, ethical mechanic. Wunderbar ! I found one; in my MIRROR ! 😁

Take care all. P.R.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It seems that some plastic engine covers work better than other.. I remember that the Chevy Equinox had a particularly bad one. I don't like plastic engine covers at all. When I open the hood I expect to see hoses and wires. I did this. Yes... I get a bit more engine noise. I don't find engine noise offensive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It seems that some plastic engine covers work better than other.. I remember that the Chevy Equinox had a particularly bad one. I don't like plastic engine covers at all. When I open the hood I expect to see hoses and wires. I did this. Yes... I get a bit more engine noise. I don't find engine noise offensive.
And to think! When I designed the covers, I was soooooooooo proud! 😁

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So does it seem like it's not an issue I need to investigate? I checked it again today and do not see any new build up so not sure how long that was in there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep...You might take off the engine cover and see if it contains any fluid.

(Parking your car outside in the rain with the hood open will not be to your advantage :))

21 - 36 of 36 Posts