Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I want a small (I consider) upgrade to my audio. I like the quality of sound I hear from the speakers for the most part but what I want to do is add some kick to my bass. I feel like the amount of bass I have sounds cheap and stockish. I don't want people next to me at a red light with my windows all the way up to be able to hear every word of my music, I just want the rumble. What do I need and about how much would it cost to have a decent set up for what I'm looking for? I don't want to blow anything, put it that way.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
That's what I did. I got a cheap subwoofer kit from pepboys about 7 years ago. Came with the subs, amp, box and wires. Needless to say it gives me a great amount of bass and really makes my music sound crisp and pure and just rich and full of greatness. My subs handle all the bass and the rest of the speakers do the mids and highs. It sounds great even if it is only 400watts peak power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a fair deal of your posts and you definitely know a lot about wiring and the like. What range of watts/power should I start with? And how did you wire yours up and mount the set up?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Wattage and power depends on your tastes. But its often a good idea to get a system matched for your cars power systems, so you don't over power the alternator and it still sounds good. I'm not sure of any specifics there but there's plenty of info online, Ill see what I can find. But there are plenty of other users with some really good solid knowledge for systems, hopefully they can chime in.

As for my setup I tied into the rear speakers in the trunk and connected it straight to my amp (it has a built in output converter) or you can buy a converter to take the speaker signals and convert it all to low tones for bass, then it just outputs to the RCA plugs.
Its just a matter of running a power and remote wire from front to back and you're pretty much set, everything else can be handled from the trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The local custom audio place said they don't do G6s because "the electrical work would cause issues with your computer integrated radio and will mess something up" but all I heard is "its difficult and we don't do hard work around here." So I dont think there will be any "matching" going on. I mainly listen to a little rap to hear the nice beats, a lot of dubstep wubwub, and idk how to describe Korn's style of music... Rock/rap/metal? Rob Zombie, Static-X, Disturbed.... Stuff with background bass that you wouldn't notice at first. I'm not trying to shake the ground or vibrate the guy's gf in the car next to me or anything. I just want a nice large amount of... Wait I know how to describe it! PERSONAL bass! Like personal space except its flooded with bass.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Exactly how I feel about that. Try another shop. I can tell you many many many users on here have subwoofers, along with complete systems. New speakers amps etc. That shop obviously hates doing work. If all you're looking for is some nice bass to add to your music then a simple subwoofer kit is all you need. Crutchfield and other sites sell complete kits that make the task of piecing it together much easier. Take a look around and see what fits your budget.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I want to keep my stock radio unit. It has too much handy integrated info for me to let it go for a fancy, sliding, whatever-radio-units-can-do-nowadays, radio that doesn't give me vehicle information.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Metra makes a dash kit for the G6 that houses all those vehicle controls/settings and info. Its a little pricey and kind of ugly, but with that installed you can only fit a single din unit. But I've seen people relocate that kit and still run a double din.

I planned on keeping my stock stereo too but as the days go on I think more and more about replacing it for something a little more powerful. At that point I'll get the metra kit and do a serious hack job on it to relocate it. Custom work FTW!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts