Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

About a month ago I took it upon myself to install an FM Modulator between the radio and the receiver so I could listen to my iPod while driving. It was working great until about 2 weeks ago my radio stopped working. I noticed the back lights to the radio stayed on however, EVEN AFTER I TURNED OFF THE CAR. This drained my battery by the next morning.

So, like any engineer, I thought the radio was broken. I disconnected the radio, and my car has been driving fine with no radio for about 2 weeks. I ordered a new radio on crutchfield and installed it this afternoon.

Tonight I go out to my car, and AGAIN the battery is drained. The odd thing is this only seems to happen when the radio (old or new) is plugged in. All the wiring behind the receiver is different between the old and new radio, so I am currently confused, but left to believe the problem is deeper than the radio.

Anyone know what might be going on?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Hey Guys,

About a month ago I took it upon myself to install an FM Modulator between the radio and the receiver so I could listen to my iPod while driving. It was working great until about 2 weeks ago my radio stopped working. I noticed the back lights to the radio stayed on however, EVEN AFTER I TURNED OFF THE CAR. This drained my battery by the next morning.

So, like any engineer, I thought the radio was broken. I disconnected the radio, and my car has been driving fine with no radio for about 2 weeks. I ordered a new radio on crutchfield and installed it this afternoon.

Tonight I go out to my car, and AGAIN the battery is drained. The odd thing is this only seems to happen when the radio (old or new) is plugged in. All the wiring behind the receiver is different between the old and new radio, so I am currently confused, but left to believe the problem is deeper than the radio.

Anyone know what might be going on?
Its nice to have someone here that can drive a train, but did you think that perhaps the FM modulator my be the cause of the problem and the radio/dead battery is simply the symtom? (just kidding bout the train thing:D)
I'm guessing your not a "EE".

I would remove the FM modulator to see if it is or isn't the cause.

Oh BTW, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Im sorry, I forgot to mention, when I bought the new radio and installed it. I removed the FM modulator.. There was no need as the new radio had an iPod hookup.

The new setup was the GM pack that allows me to keep the car settings, as well as a new radio. I noticed the GM display stayed on as well (just like the old radio) when I turned off the car. There wasn't enough battery to start the car, but enough to see the power was being used in that center console.. Just like before.

I am no EE, but I do have a tiny bit a knowledge from my CE days at college 5 years ago.

EDIT: I am driving a 2005 Pontiac G6, but a train would be nice. If that's your hazing.. I feel I got by easy. :)

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Ah, electronics :rolleyes: ya gotta love it. Is there any possiblity that a hot wire is shorted or a ground wire was missed? There are some many variables in todays cars when it come to a battery draining. Usually for me wifie just leaves the dome light on ;).

EDIT: I am driving a 2005 Pontiac G6, but a train would be nice. If that's your hazing.. I feel I got by easy.
That was just a feeler, the real hazing is yet to come :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good ol electricity

Well if the radio was good and the battery was good (until it drained) then obviously is one of the many things in between. I'm thinking if the radio power continues even after the car is off and you've opened the driver door then maybe its not recognizing that the door has opened. So just find that door switch. Or it could be a something as simple as a relay. I doubt it would be a fuse though because that would shut power off completely. I would also re-check your wiring at the back of the radio. Sometimes the harness gets weak and brittle and can get jammed against a piece of metal and short out, perhaps that switch wire shorted. Have you had any other electrical symptoms in other parts of the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I have not had any symptoms besides the radio taking all my power. I thought about getting the voltmeter out and checking the power and ground wires, but I am not really sure what I would be looking for. Perhaps the ground location I chose was not really a ground.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday, and I'll be spending the weekend pondering this..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So here is something I found that may be the culprit. The +12V lead coming into the big main connector from the car is changes to Yellow on the hookup I bought from crutchfield. This means when I thought I was hooking up +12V I was actually not. I tested the yellow wire that plugs into the back of the radio, and sure enough I get +12V coming through.

Yellow is a power of some sort I think (perhaps the one that only gets 12V when the car is on?). I am now thinking I need to swap the yellow and red connectors I used when originally connecting everything together.

Does this sound like it could be the problem?

EDIT:
It turns out I had the colors connected correctly.
YELLOW = +12V form the Battery in the GM Console and Radio
RED = +12V from Ignition in GM Console and Radio

I tested the +12V from Ignition was turning on and off correctly with the doors and all as Devriesd mentioned. It seems to be working fine. After turning off the car, it stays at 12V until I open the door, then it drops to 0.

So once again.. I'm at a loss for the problem.
* Devriesd, what did you mean about the relay?
* I did have a tiny 1/8 in. bit of ground wire exposed. But considering there is the metal I attached it to 1 inch away, I can't imagine this is an issue. Nothing I can see is exposed.
* The radio isn't actually working with the car off with the new stereo. It was a problem with the old stereo (radio didn't work at all, but backlights remained on even with car off).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Relays

* Devriesd, what did you mean about the relay?
* I did have a tiny 1/8 in. bit of ground wire exposed. But considering there is the metal I attached it to 1 inch away, I can't imagine this is an issue. Nothing I can see is exposed.
* The radio isn't actually working with the car off with the new stereo. It was a problem with the old stereo (radio didn't work at all, but backlights remained on even with car off).
*There are a bunch of Relays (small little black boxes) in the fuse box compartment on the passenger side lower portion of the center console. Also beside the battery (I don't think it contains anything for the interior such as the radio). A relay is just a switch that can be normally open or normally closed. The only difference is that unlike a regular switch it always reverts to its stable state when it loses power. For example your if you are watching TV and the power goes out your TV will not turn back on once the power is restored.

Below: A cool picture of the insides of a relay.

*The ground wire shouldn't be a problem unless it comes in contact with a hot wire, aka. anything with voltage.

*old stereo and new stereo have different symptoms? That suggests it could be a problem with the stereo. Are they both G6 factory stereos?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Heres a dumb question, is your battery any good (old or new) cause i would imagine after being drained a few times its probably not gonna be in the best of shape anymore. I leave my XM radio on all the time along with my cell phone plugged in and charging and the battery never dies, your problem just sounds like a weak battery or one that cant hold a charge anymore and if its new maybe its a dud, it can happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all of a sudden my battery was dead, when i jup it off it cranks very easily and the battery holds a small charge, but if i turn my car off for more than a hour it will not start, also the cd player keeps moving after the car is off. I have all kinds of alarms going off and bs messages on the info screen, i think my computer is screwed up and the car just made a year this week. any ideas?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
TravisLSU huh? You in Baton Rouge? Oh and welcome to the club too.

What year? what model?
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
292 Posts
all of a sudden my battery was dead, when i jup it off it cranks very easily and the battery holds a small charge, but if i turn my car off for more than a hour it will not start, also the cd player keeps moving after the car is off. I have all kinds of alarms going off and bs messages on the info screen, i think my computer is screwed up and the car just made a year this week. any ideas?
yes this sounds like a bad battery.

Reactions: geewhiz

·
4.6 Interceptor
47 Posts
Same thing happanes to mine :(

It happen more then few times ...so I thought BAD battey although it is only 4year old and rated for 5 years. So I got new battery yesterday (optima red top).

While I was installing battery and hooking up positive terminal there was a small spark and now the battery while is hooked up it's reading 1.5v and if I disconect the battery it's reading 12.5v ....checked all fuses under hood; in the cabin and in the trunk and nothing ...did disconect the cellular modem (onstar) still nothing ...did try to jump the car but it want give any sign.

I'll try to check the starter solenoid if is shortened and that is causing brand new battery voltage to read 1.5v while hooked up.

Will let you know when I figure out where and what is draining this thing and
why is it reading 1.5v while hooked up

Do you gus know that those engineer's from Pontiac installed PCM next to battery and winshield washer fluid reservoir ...so watch out that you don't spill any on the PCM (Powertrain Controll Module)

·
4.6 Interceptor
47 Posts
Looks like I had BAD new battery ...just installed 2nd one and it's crancking and runing fine ...will see in few days :bow: if it's still going to drain out or not!

Reactions: geewhiz

·
4.6 Interceptor
47 Posts
Looks like I had BAD new battery ...just installed 2nd one and it's crancking and runing fine ...will see in few days :bow: if it's still going to drain out or not!
It was BAD Battery, it is day 4 and the battery is functioning like it should :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.