Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced starter and altenator and my G6 battery goes dead and car will die. it seems like the battery is only 1 year old and Die Hard brand will take a charge from charger but does not seem like it is getting charged, second I wanted to know if you car will stay running if you diconnect positive cable?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would suggest using a volt meter to check the battery when off and running. You should get about 12.x volts with the engine.off for a charged battery. The voltage should increase to 13-14.x if the alternator is charging the battery. You can also test at the alternator. You may have a bad connection (or a blown fuse / fusible link) I don't recall which the G6 has.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For newer cars with all the electronics, it's considered a bad idea to pull the the positive cable while the car is running. Do as boomer suggested test with a volt meter. Years ago volt meters were expensive. They were known as VTVM's ( vacuum tube volt meters). Today they are transistorized and can be had pretty cheaply ($20 and up). Get one if you don't have one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I see that the security lock symbol on the dashboard keeps blinking when the car is locked. I wonder if it is supposed to be this way or not? Does it affect the battery? The battery died the other day, with this event in mind I thought that it may have affected the battery life cycle somehow. :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have replaced starter and altenator and my G6 battery goes dead and car will die. it seems like the battery is only 1 year old and Die Hard brand will take a charge from charger but does not seem like it is getting charged, second I wanted to know if you car will stay running if you diconnect positive cable?
t

·
Registered
34 Posts
Take battery back to auto strore dispose properly and get new 1 dah warranty in orderor just charge and let sit watch it die slowly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts