Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Battery

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  G6-Lover 
#1 ·
So I guess my sound system is pulling too much power, so I need to add a second batter. Does anyone know how to add a second battery?

#2 ·
you must have one hell of a sound system! Usually it just means your battery stinks and should be replaced.

But If you insist on a second battery electrically, to hook up a second battery you would just put it in a parallel circuit. That is exactly what you do when get a boost from someone when your battery is dead at the shopping mall. Neg to Neg and Pos to Pos. If your put your battery in series your Car voltage would be 24Volts (aka not good).

The only problem would be finding space to put the second battery.

hope this helps.

#5 ·
umm which capacitor? for the stereo? hooked up where? capacitors only pass AC so if it has to do with the battery that's not going to help. The only capacitor I can think of that you may be talking about could be a AC ground shunt for DC power for the stereo. Confused; enlighten me.

hmm or maybe you meant the flux capacitor that is in that famous time traveling delorian.

#4 · (Edited)
I could be wrong, but wouldn't two batteries put more strain on the alternator? I agree that you probably need a new battery. I know I do and I have a 1800w amp. My battery dies if I keep the key in for any longer than 20 seconds. NOT GOOD. lol

You could also use a isolator which seems to be the best route. Google this stuff :p

#6 ·
They make capacitors for car stereo systems. It's been debated if they work or not. Most people who do car audio would never be caught with one in their car. If you do it right you don't need anything to help. Just adding another battery won't help because you need more amperage from your alternator. You may just need a stronger battery though. Most people don't need a new alternator with their systems. There is a formula to figure out how much current your amps draw. That, plus having to charge the battery is what you need to have for amperage from your alternator.

#7 ·
I would say its more an alternator problem than a battery problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.