Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here to the G6 community, I had recently purchased a used 2006 pontiac g6 from a guy in colorado springs, The car came with 2 keys and ran really well but needs a little bit of work like lower control arm rearward bushings, Oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gaskets, tune up, brakes etc. its a high mileage car.

well,

I purchased a dorman remote and took it to the dealer today to get it programmed it does have the pk3 in the box and ordered the correct remote.

initially I got the dorman kit that has the self programmer, and I read the instructions, watched the video, and followed the instructions to a T. I closed the doors, put key in ignition, turned to on but not run, put the device into the ob2, and nothing, it would do some weird dash light flicker and power steering would flash briefly on and off on the dic. Then the device would buzz after 1 minute (I assume its a time out thing) I was like what the hell, I know the device had 2 more times so I swapped the battery on the fob with a known working one, repeated it again, still no dice. Just kept doing some weird shit with the electrical portion of the cluster, my gauges would sweep, the lights like the tcs, brake, etc would flash on and off (more like flicker).
I basically chucked it up as a issue with the device.
I called my local chevy dealer that I have friends with there, and asked to bring it in for a remote programming, they accepted, I took it in, they had it for an hour and COULD NOT program the remote, my friend comes to me who is a service manager, says the remote is fine but we can’t get your BCM to communicate with the other devices to program the remote, we believe that you have a short in the BCM or a broken wire somewhere because we even tried to bypass it to manually program it and it would not let us communicate through the BCM.
I was upset because I just bought the car and the BCM was the last thing I thought would be a problem.
Any advice on what to do? I don’t know much about these vehicles and it seems the BCM is a common issue on this vehicle. I just want my dang remote to program lol.
They mentioned it could be a wiring issue, a module issue, a short etc.

i just feel it has to be a BCM issue because thats what controls 90% of the car.

the only thing I notice that could also be BCM related is 1. To control the lights on the turn signal switch is non existent, I cant manually shut off my headlights or turn them on. They just come on due to the automatic lights and the sensor.
If I put into the drive, the driving lights do come on, but pushing the foglight switch turns those off and then it turns on the parking lights and fogs. Unsure if thats routed to that but it seems like it would be.

·
Registered
844 Posts
One of the dealer recalls for the BCM is to add dielectric grease. My personal approach was to work it into the female side of the connector and carefully move the connector in and out a few times to work it in and let it do its job. Maybe this will help.

...and welcome to the club :) ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the dealer recalls for the BCM is to add dielectric grease. My personal approach was to work it into the female side of the connector and carefully move the connector in and out a few times to work it in and let it do its job. Maybe this will help.

...and welcome to the club :) ....
Thank you!
I plan to do exactly that. I had heard about this issue when I started finding common issues before buying the car.
So far so good and the remote did program so I am happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts