Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm shopping for a used car and checked out a 2006 Pontiac G6 today. It seems to be in good shape overall, but when looking under the hood, I noticed rust on the strut towers. I'm not sure how much of an issue it is, and held off on making the purchase. Photos attached for your consideration. Should I pass on the car?

I appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Just looks like some ugly rust, but doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. You could always sand it down and paint it a bit. Mine are a little rusty too, I would recommend taking a look under the car and around the wheel wells. Just look for more signs of rust, see if anything seems compromised. Chances are its nothing to really worry about.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I wouldn't be overly concerned. By the time you need shocks/struts it might be worth while to look at replacement but that should last you many years yet. I looked under my older Durango the other day, and there's nothing that isn't rusty, not even the shocks.

As mentioned, you can sand the rusted areas down and either prime & paint, or if it was mine, I'd just put a coat of oil over top and keep it up every few months. Once rust has started you can't stop it completely without properly removing the part and getting it professionally blasted and recoated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Your advice lines up with most of what I've been hearing. I'll have the underside checked out before making any decisions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
JML, you didn't specify the miles on the car, but knowingly if it's over 50K miles, it's understandable to have some rust. As mentioned, depending on where you live also makes a difference. Just think of how you would look if you had walked/jogged/ran 50K miles. I'm certain you'd be a bit rusty! ..I know I would be. Rain again today for the 9th day straight. Can't wait for the snow!

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats the strut its self, Id only be worried if it was the body rusting where the strut bolted on.
Non the less Id just unbolt the strut and clean it up, throw some black paint on it and call it a day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts