Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, got a Malibu I have been tracking for a while now and wanted to know what rotors everyone uses that tracks their G6s as both cars use the same 11.65 rotors?

I hate to sound rude but I repeat, I only want opinions from people who track their car. That would be Autocross, HPDE, Time Trials, etc...
I tend to get too many armchair racers or the street racer crowd if I don't make that request clear. Sorry...

I am looking for rotors that can take abuse but aren't super expensive due to excessive wear and tear.
I don't want anything drilled (most brands crack/explode with what I would put them through), either blank vented or slotted and vented.
I use Carbotech XP10 brake pads up front which are track only pads and may consider going to an even more aggressive race pad as I'm looking into doing Time Trial racing next season with NASA.

My primary track is VIR (Virginia International Raceway) with my secondary being the two tracks at New Jersey Motorsports Park (Thunderbolt & Lightning).

So far I have been using the GM rotors as they are fairly cheap at $60 each but they crack and groove and just can't take the abuse I put them through and need replacement before I even wear through a set of rear brake pads.

Here is a video from a run last year to give you an idea of what I'm running.
I run several seconds per lap faster now but haven't had a chance to edit and upload a more recent video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dcKjFXzNc

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well you're running on VIR which is notoriously hard on brakes. NJMP is also a great, fun track but that's off topic. lol... Good to see you're running an actual brake pad like Carbotechs though. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find a decent rotor that's an OEM replacement, with a car this heavy the brakes just get too hot.

What I would recommend is that you replace your front brakes for 4 piston Brembos. The rotors are also a 1" larger in diameter. They are a direct replacement for stock, they come off the late model Cobalt SS, they use the same steering knuckle so its a simple swap.

Great quality from all the parts for the swap. Obviously the Brembos rock. The OEM rotors are also great quality, cast in Germany from legit steel. The OEM pads really shine though. The pads are made by Ferodo in the UK (same pad compound as the CTS-V and some Ferraris), they offer excellent fade resistance and a nice linear pedal. The whole swap would only run around $650, which is extremely affordable for what you're getting, might even be able to find it a little cheaper if you shop around. I have all the part numbers if you need them.

If you're tracking this hard I'd also recommend you pick up some stainless brake lines. You can also get Carbotechs or Cobalt Friction pads for the Brembos if you find the OEM wouldn't be enough for you. Could also pick up some titanium shims for the pads if you're getting any fluid fade. And I also know a place where you can pick up some trick floating two piece rotors from Coleman Racing for the Brembos, but they're going to get expensive. Hope this helps a little, let me know if you need some more information on all that!

Here some pics of the beasts, complete with stainless lines... got more of them in my progression...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like everything with cars there are compromises.
The video was when I was still running my stock 15x6.5 wheels with 205 width tires.
I knew I wanted to upsize when it came time to get new tires so I could get better size tires with more options and better brakes.

My choices were...

1. A hell of a deal on 16x7.5 wheels (less than $500 shipped) that would reduce unsprung weight by about 10 lbs, keep tire prices about the same even though going up to 225 width, slightly smaller diameter tire to change final gear ratio and help with low end acceleration, and allow me to go from 10.8 to 11.65 diameter rotor.

2. Spend about $500 more and get 17x8 with tires that were more expensive but slightly more grippy, gain a couple lbs, no improvement in final ratio but have room to do the 11.8 or 11.9 (can't remember) Saab 9-3 front brakes with lager brake pads.

3. Spend enough money to get my wife pissed and go with 18s and Brembo brakes. Gain a bunch of grip and brakes but lose top end speed due to adding like 15 lbs and tires almost twice as expensive as the 15 or 16 inch options.

So I went with option #1.
Someone said elsewhere that the Centric/Stoptech slotted rotors were alright. Anyone have any opinion on them?
For heat I may have to see how many points if any I would take for front brake ducts for when I start doing TT races.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts