Pontiac G6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts
Wow, it's funny seeing this almost a year later than I last posted in here, but I'd have to say that my loyalties lie somewhere else now.

Adam's Waxes and Polishes - Pro, once in a while

Turtle Wax Ice - Quick, everyday stuff

I wish I had everyday weather for waxing here....*Grumbles*stupid Canadian weather*grumbles*

I wish I had read this thread prior to waxing my car- since I'm quite a nooB. I used NuFinish liquid "The Once a Year Polish" on my car after my mom (who surely knows nothing about cars) talked me into buying it to use on both of our cars. It made the car shine, but it was surprisingly difficult to wipe off but that's probably because I used too much. It also left deep white stains on the plastic trim (why the heck did they ever build cars with chintzy plastic trim anyway???!!). I found that WD-40 worked well to remove the wax from the plastic, luckily.
Anywho, you're all probably going to chastise me for my use of NuFinish but I was wondering if I should run away from it at all costs or will I be ok? Also, is there any validity to the "once a year" claim? I kind of doubt it (far too good to be true).

I to used nufinish and got it on the black plastic thanks for the wd40 idea the white stains have been driving me nuts ever since.This weekend i will clean it off.

I to used nufinish and got it on the black plastic thanks for the wd40 idea the white stains have been driving me nuts ever since.This weekend i will clean it off.
Yeah, the WD-40 worked really well and it's something that I (and probably most people) have on hand. I was afraid that the white spots would reappear after it dried out, but they have stayed gone :D

From what I've read on the internet, NuFinish is pretty decent stuff. Seems good for people who don't care to wax their cars religiously and have other stuff to do.

I find that nufinish leaves a white residue. I didnt have any of that with meguirs and i found it shines better

I use mothers.. it works good.. one thing tho.. from my own experience, buffing a black car right under the sunlight, didn't work well.. i had to get my car repainted that time.. (not this one. it was the first time i detail a car) :p

I used nu polish once...never again haha it left a white residue gross

thanks ill check em out

I wish I had read this thread prior to waxing my car- since I'm quite a nooB. I used NuFinish liquid "The Once a Year Polish" on my car after my mom (who surely knows nothing about cars) talked me into buying it to use on both of our cars. It made the car shine, but it was surprisingly difficult to wipe off but that's probably because I used too much. It also left deep white stains on the plastic trim (why the heck did they ever build cars with chintzy plastic trim anyway???!!). I found that WD-40 worked well to remove the wax from the plastic, luckily.
Anywho, you're all probably going to chastise me for my use of NuFinish but I was wondering if I should run away from it at all costs or will I be ok? Also, is there any validity to the "once a year" claim? I kind of doubt it (far too good to be true).
If I could write my own post it would say exactly this^. Except for the WD-40 thing. This weekend I'm going to finally get that sh** off lol! Thanks jpbales!

oh and y84pauloflondon good to see your still kickin' around this forum it seems like its been a while since you last posted. How's London?

If I could write my own post it would say exactly this^. Except for the WD-40 thing. This weekend I'm going to finally get that sh** off lol! Thanks jpbales!

oh and y84pauloflondon good to see your still kickin' around this forum it seems like its been a while since you last posted. How's London?
bad news... after about a week I noticed that the white stuff was not gone... WD-40 failed :mad:

I gotta try to get some of that dried wax out of the creveces in the car it makes it look terrible lol

Potential Wax Residue Solutions

After researching on the internet, I have found the following suggestions for removing wax residue from car trim:

Peanut Butter (many say this is the solution and a few say the wax comes back)
Olive Oil
"Back to Black" from Mother's (some reports that it wears off after a week)
WD-40 (have tried this and it was unsuccessful- wears off after a week or so)
Mineral Spirits
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (be SURE not to use it on the car's paint, read that it will strip it right off)
and of course, as mentioned above, "dried on wax remover"

Some people say that once the wax is "bonded" with the plastic it's impossible to completely remove while others say stuff like WD-40, peanut butter, etc. work like a charm and the waxy haze never returns. So it may depend on how many treatments and how much the wax has set in. If anyone tries any of the suggestions above, please post your results.
The thing that gets me is that I was very careful not to get wax on the trim and when I did I immediately wiped it off with a wet rag. The waxy residue didn't appear until a few days later and it looks pretty bad. The NuFinish seems to work well and last a long time, but I'm going to switch to something else if I can't get it off of the trim- that's for sure.

If it does look really bad though, I would say: strip the trim off, then paint it flat black!!bet you, it will look sick.. I have done this to my previous car. just make sure the trim is more to a plastic than a rubber first.

I heard from a local detailer (in business 20 years?) that wax has silicones and isn't good for the paint. Instead he uses a Synthetic Paint Sealant with Polymers. I had my car full detailed when purchased and it still shines over a year later...

Might consider looking into this rather than waxing. Cheers

That something that you can just pick up from the auto parts store??

I heard from a local detailer (in business 20 years?) that wax has silicones and isn't good for the paint. Instead he uses a Synthetic Paint Sealant with Polymers. I had my car full detailed when purchased and it still shines over a year later...

Might consider looking into this rather than waxing. Cheers
As a former detailer...that's a great line for getting people to pay for your services instead of shopping for their own stuff at Wally World. Otherwise there's a reason why you'll find Carnauba Wax on the ingredients list of things like Reese's Pieces, Tylonol, and other hard coated things that are shiny. Carnauba is a natural plant product with completely harmless additives to make it soft so that it can be used on vehicle finishes and other applications. Some have perfume and mild detergents added (this is the white residue left on plastic trim after waxing with cleaner waxes).

Carnauba is great stuff. There's nothing synthetic in the world that can match the deep, wet shine it leaves. When I was detailing and had a show job the car would get synthetic sealant and then carnauba on top once the sealant had cured.

If you want a carnauba that won't turn your black trim white you'll need one that costs more than $5 from Wal-Mart...same as if you want a synthetic sealant that lasts more than a day you'll want one that costs more than $12 from an automotive store. www.autogeek.net is a good place to start.

Also...get yourself a horsehair brush and use some Dawn dishsoap to lightly massage the area affected by the white residue. You're going to need a little bit of agitation to remove it.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will not strip paint (unless you're a gorilla and scrubbing at 80mph). The magic eraser is actually chemical free. Simply made up of a special type of foam that is a rediculously mild abrasive. The foam disintegrates and abrades against itself and the crap you're trying to clean. It's a kindler, gentler, cleaner version of dishsoap and sugar (a great hand cleaner if you don't have any fast orange around).

41 - 60 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.