Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I I recently replaced the front driver side caliper and it is still feeling like it's locking up and now there's a smell to it and the brakes the brake rotors are hot on both sides the driver and the passenger but I replaced the driver side caliper so I know it's not that could anybody tell me what maybe it might else be maybe a hose or maybe the master cylinder or something any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
I I recently replaced the front driver side caliper and it is still feeling like it's locking up and now there's a smell to it and the brakes the brake rotors are hot on both sides the driver and the passenger but I replaced the driver side caliper so I know it's not that could anybody tell me what maybe it might else be maybe a hose or maybe the master cylinder or something any input would be appreciated
Ok on the caliper there are three bolts two of those bolts go on to a squeshy thing tht holds in the brakes right? Right ok make sure those are turned right and tighten everything good not to go but good enough. Sometimes when u hit a bump these rotors knock loose and they'll grind up against the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok now I know that my rotors seem to be exceptionally loose considering other cars I have had. And are you talking about the slip pins?
No ok when u take off the caliper there's two bolts . No matter how tight u tighten those bolts they won't tighten they push in and out if u do it with your finger make sure they are set right

·
Registered
13 Posts
No ok when u take off the caliper there's two bolts . No matter how tight u tighten those bolts they won't tighten they push in and out if u do it with your finger make sure they are set right
Or one of your rotors have warped. Meaning someone hit a pot hole or something hard as shit n bent it. Sometimes u can see the bend with the naked eye but enough for it to slip off when hitting a bump. You'll feel the hesitation when the rotor is off. So reposition the rotor again. So u can see what I'm talking about

·
Registered
4 Posts
X2 on the Brake Hoses. As mentioned, they will breakdown internally and allow fluid out to the Caliper but may not realease the pressure when you get off brakes. Almost like there is a 1 way valve inside the cable.

On the Loose Rotor thing someone mentioned above....not to sound argumentative but that is Nonsense. Sure, these are a Hat style Rotor that just slips over the Hub. But when you change pads, what happens when you install 2 Lugs just to keep the rotor in place? It holds the Rotor solidly against the Hub. This is what happens when you tighten all 5 wheel lugs down on the wheel. If the Rotor is floppy around then so is your wheel. No way that Rotor will move if the Lugs are tight .

·
Registered
36 Posts
100% agree with the hose theory. Brake hoses are cheap and if they have not been changed, change them due to the age of the car. the inner lining of the hose starts to break down and will block flow of fluid returning to master cylinder.

the second, and only other thing that will cause a brake to drag is the caliper mount. the caliper needs to float (meaning you can push the caliper straight back and forth when you have the wheel off. the caliper mounts with two bolts to pins that have a rubber dust boots. these pins can freeze up causing the caliper to not be able to float. if the caliper is solid and wont move when you bolt it on, the caliper bracket needs to be replaced. or you can try to remove the mounting pins and clean and lube them up. most of the time when you buy a new caliper it should come with the mounting bracket. if the bracket came with, it will have new pins and shouldn't be a problem.

Very good chance the problem is with your brake hose, but take a good look at the caliper and how it works. it needs to be free to float or else the inside brake pad will wear out and the outside pad will not. this is because the caliper cannot float and apply equal pressure from both pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts