Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the GTP with 18's, you could go 19's, maybe 20. But 19 would be good.

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
I like the quote lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey could i go 245/40/20's with out rubbing i dont want to bend a rim with 35's i just bought 18s for the car and dont like it plus there black centre and chrome lip on a white car thought they would look good but they dont. would the 20's with 40 series do damage to tranny or anything else thanks all

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey could i go 245/40/20's with out rubbing i dont want to bend a rim with 35's i just bought 18s for the car and dont like it plus there black centre and chrome lip on a white car thought they would look good but they dont. would the 20's with 40 series do damage to tranny or anything else thanks all
I asked at the shop I got mine from and they said "no". But I have plenty of room to play with on what I have so I would ask around to a couple places and see what they say.

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
its a front wheel drive so as long as the right and left tires are the same size you wont hurt anything

but ur speedo wont read right
Are you seriously saying that?
if your tires aren't within about 3% of the original overall diameter, you run an increased risk of BRAKE FAILURE.
So yea, don't worry. "you won't hurt anything".
For each inch you add to your rim diameter, take about a bit off the profile of the tire to stay as close to the stock overall diameter as possible. For example
2006 G6 GT:
Stock rim size: 17 inch
Stock tire size 225/55R17

Say you want 18s.
New rim size: 18 inch
New tire size: 225/45R18

Or, just for you:

New Rim Size: 22 inch
New Tire Size: 225/25R22 (they don't even make those)

Unfortunately, due to the way tires are designed and sized, you'll find it difficult to find a perfect match in size for what's currently on your '6. However, this particular wheel/rim combination results in the speedometer only being off by about 0.461%, with the total diameter difference between the stock and new size being a mere 0.47%.

The mathematics, as well as the physics, support it.
But, if you don't trust numbers, the statement "its a front wheel drive so as long as the right and left tires are the same size you wont hurt anything" sounds pretty "factual" to me. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry i dont understand much about tires, but..I am looking to get 18" rims. Would these fit on the stock tires, or would i need to replace the tires as well?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you seriously saying that?
if your tires aren't within about 3% of the original overall diameter, you run an increased risk of BRAKE FAILURE.

For each inch you add to your rim diameter, take about a bit off the profile of the tire to stay as close to the stock overall diameter as possible.

Help out an idiot like me. ;)

Is this so in any case?

So if I got 20s (I have 18s), how do I minimize this this so called "break failure". I mean, for me atleast, I enjoy coming to a compete stop behind vehicles.. If I got certain tires, calipers, break pads (which, aren't they calipers?) The disk that the caliper rests on, can I keep my assurance of not hitting cars? :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this so in any case?

So if I got 20s (I have 18s), how do I minimize this this so called "break failure". I mean, for me atleast, I enjoy coming to a compete stop behind vehicles.. If I got certain tires, calipers, break pads (which, aren't they calipers?) The disk that the caliper rests on, can I keep my assurance of not hitting cars? :D
For each inch you add to your rim diameter, take about a bit off the profile of the tire to stay as close to the stock overall diameter as possible.

^^^this yes this is true unless you don't care about ur spedo reading right
and want a monster truck or want huge tires for some reason or unless you want ur rims so big they are larger in diameter than the original tire and wheel combo such as going from 15"s to 20", 22", 24"s ect.

^^^I have heard of the 3% rule but with newer cars and 4 wheel disk brakes you should be good unless ur making a monster truck

What G6 do you have? If you go from 225/50/R18's to 225 40/R20's you will be fine (going from 50-40 is taking off some of the profile ,thickness, of the tire) its like a .8% difference

<the brake lesson>
the brake pads are a high friction material that squeezes on the brake disk
(i would get some high performance ones like hawks just to prevent your disks from getting to hot and warping)

the disk is the big circle piece of metal that is connected to the wheel hub this slows the car when friction from the pads slows the disk down(you only need new ones if ur going to race your car)

the caliper is what the pads go into. calipers squeeze the pads against the disk when you step on the peddle(you only need new ones if ur going to race your car)

you could also get high performance brake fluid but its no necessary with 225/40/R20's

·
Registered
31 Posts
LOL at this whole thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts