Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 G6 GT with the upgraded stereo with USB. It was a Hertz program car for the first 6,000 miles. It looks like this model would normally have Bluetooth but the salesman told me most of the program cars he has seen couldn't summon the pairing setup for Bluetooth. Has anyone else encountered this and found a way to activate it. I was able to activate OnStar. Think I will skip XM since it has a USB for my iPod.

It also has the Flex Fuel V6. I won't be using E85 but I was wondering if there were any downsides to having this engine version.

BTW, this is my first post

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Well, gee maybe no one knows?

I have no idea about the Blue tooth, mine doesn't have it.

The E-85 engine on the other hand, nothing wrong with it. No downsides that I'm aware of.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Gee, nice forum. Zero responses.
Yeah, that's one of the nice things about this forum. If someone doesn't know an answer, usually they will stay quiet and not pollute the thread with a bunch of "duh, I dunno!" answers.

You have the new version of the stereo that was only available in the 2009.5 (2010) model. Very, very few people here have a G6 that new. In fact, you have basically an orphan car as your aftermarket availability and interchangeability of parts with other models will be very limited. I'm sure that many here wish they had Bluetooth (I sure do) but our lame-ass radios don't.

As for the E85 engine, it's actually the same as the non-E85 engine with two parts changed to support Flex Fuel. It is actually a slightly more expensive engine, and of course if you can find it you can burn the cheaper fuel.

Welcome to the forums!

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so here is what I know.......like you, I recently bought a 2010 G6 1SH. For the price it's loaded. The only thing it's missing is the Bluetooth. I even stumbled on this forum through your post in my search for information on this subject. There is virtually no information about the 2010's. Most Bluetooth questions come from the pre 2009.5-ers that do not have the capability to use BT (in mid 2009, BT capability was included automatically).

What I found out was that the Fleet/rental cars (which most of these are) where made to order based on cost and the UFP option code (Bluetooth) was not ordered by most companies. Although our cars and radios are new (USB etc.) and BT capable they do not have the Onstar WITH Bluetooth module. Most companies did get the Onstar because these cars are inevitably resold to the public (at least that's what I've read).

Apparently, you can replace the Onstar VCIM with an Onstar/Bluetooth VCIM but GM will not do it for you unless it's a warranty or defect replacement. The OS/BT Module is part #20783877 and the BT Antenna is #15938939.

If you have any luck finding and adding these modules let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Serfsax. I read something about the BT antenna elsewhere. Did you try a GM dealership to locate the parts? This would probably be the most expensive way to find them. I think I read that salvage yards were a limited source but that most wouldn't inventory these parts. Besides, since they're pretty new, they would be hard to find. I'll post back here if I find something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually have a friend that runs the parts department at a GM dealer. I had talked to him early in my search. At that time he couldn't find anyway of helping. He did however tell me that his particular dealership had a vendor that put Bluetooth in the cars that wanted them. I'll give him a call Monday and explore this more.

When I started this search I figured it was just a reset or software flash needed. Then I figured it was just a plug in module. It's hard to believe that they would make more than one Onstar VCIM simply to exclude a relatively cheap but technically relevant feature. It seems that far more people would rather have Bluetooth than Onstar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2009 g6 gxp that was previously a hertz rental. Mine has bluetooth in it, plus onstar and xm. The green light still lights up on my rearview mirror, does that mean the onstar subscription is still in affect?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where is the bluetooth module on G6?

I just bought a 2010 G6 that doesn't have the bluetooth support as well. It was a fleet vehicle. Where is the box located in the car so I can check the part number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you elaborate on what you paid for and what they did? My 2010 G6 doesn't recognize the 'bluetooth' command to program it, so I'm assuming it doesn't have the support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't speak to the other part numbers posted in this thread. After some research I purchased a 20833261 part number from http://www.allworldautomotive.com for $175 and another $20 for a Bluetooth antenna for my 2010 G6 earlier this week.
They also have some on Ebay.
The old one that didn't have bluetooth that was removed was part number 20833262. The unit is behind the glovebox on the right hand side. Here is a link to another forum showing how to remove the glovebox.

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5991

There are 3 bolts holding it in place. The biggest problem was getting the 3rd bolt at the end of the unit unscrewed. Its rather tight to get a socket wrench in there.

I now have Bluetooth capability and I'm quite impressed. The onstar light is red at this point, but I don't really care. I may call them to inquire about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have to have the new module programmed in order for it to work, or was it simply a drop in replacement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was just a drop in replacement(just a heck of time getting the old one out). I did spend some time with the Onstar folks this week. I had to use the emergency button to get someone and just asked to activate an new account. I was eventually transferred and after about 20 minutes they had the Onstar working. They did ask for VIN and I gave it to them and just said I had upgraded my hardware. They indicated I would receive more information at my email account. I still have received nothing, but Onstar now works. The light is still red on the mirror. I may just leave it like this or wait until I eventually have to take it in for some other service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question:

Will this only work for the USB version of the radio? I posted about my "new" 2009.5 G6 GT that I would like to upgrade to Bluetooth in this forum but my radio is not the USB version, it has the normal jack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question:

Will this only work for the USB version of the radio? I posted about my "new" 2009.5 G6 GT that I would like to upgrade to Bluetooth in this forum but my radio is not the USB version, it has the normal jack.
I'd start by taking the dash apart, removing the 3 bolts holding the Vehicle Communication Interface Module(VCIM) in and seeing what model number VCIM you have in yours. I would guess you have a 20833262(missing the bluetooth antenna). When I found out I could get the bluetooth enabled VCIM((20833261), I put the old VCIM back in with just the two bolts and left the dash apart and ordered the new VCIM off of Ebay from intcomponents(they are still available). It shipped rather quickly via UPS.
The antenna I ordered from them never arrived(was sent USPS) and a week later I emailed them asking about it and they either never mailed it or it got lost. They sent one that I got in 3 days. That was the only bad experience in this whole effort.

As you are finding out, there isn't a whole lot on information you can find on the forums about this. It also seems the folks at the dealers can't much help either. After Googling and searching many other forums(G8, Cadillac, Trucks, Solstice, etc.) I went out on a limb and spent $200 to try this. I don't regret it. Please append with what you do or find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is so strange, because I have an '09 Saturn Aura with the same audio system and I have the Bluetooth, but not the USB port, which ticks me off. I've tried to no avail to get the USB radio, even when the current one had to be replaced, they wouldn't give it to me, despite the fact it was listed as standard equipment for all 2009 Aura's - I paid for it, but didn't get it, GM told me to pound sand.

Anyway, if you have the new style radio - with the DIC integrated in the dash and the premium sound system, you should be able to install the Bluetooth module.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts