Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I could really use any help.

I just replaced my front brakes on my 2006 G6 (roughly 27000 miles), I did everything like I had on previous brake jobs on other cars, and driving it after it was fine.

After about 60 miles or so, the brakes started grunting, it didn't seem like grinding noise from inside the car but I guess it could of been. But it sounder more of a deep grunt/moan.

It hasn't seemed to affect the brake performance, as the car stops fine and steady and in control, and when I brake lightly it doesn't make the noise, or if I brake hard, just seems to be in that intermediate pressure range.

Any potential help would be more than welcomed.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI i just had the same problem recently with mine where i replaced the front brakes and not the rear...after a long trip i got worried as the sound got louder. i removed the rear wheels and caliper and looked at my brakes myself and they had no pads at all which has also left damage to my rotors. after replacing the brakes and resetting the callipers in the rear my car makes no more noises....thats the only advice i have. hope it helps.
- emmanuella

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you replace the pads and not the rotors?
Because if you replaced your pads and didn't lathe or replace your rotors also, it would grind down your brakes because your old pads would have been molded to the grooves in your old rotors(assuming there were grooves)
So that could cause wear on both pads and rotors.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Need more info:

1. Did you replace pads, pads and rotors etc...
2. Did you use brake lube grease on backs of pads when reassembling.
3. Did you wipe new rotors down with brake parts cleaner first, (they come with a rust preventative coating that can gum things up if you don't wipe it off first.)
4. Does the sound come and go or is it steady?
5. Did you remember to torque the lug nuts correctly?

Answers please then I can offer suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to pop up a old topic.

We just replaced the front pads, we cleaned the rotors but did not replace them because they seemed fine. The car's squeaking is happening again for the past month or so, but they haven't worn enough obviously to be the indicator again. It's a steady sound. The nuts are torqued fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.