Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ! I got a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS which is a close sister of the G6 GT-P and I have to replace the brakes soon. I heard a lot about the poor quality of the OEM brakes. So I need advices about what brakes to buy.

I heard about R1-Concept rotors, read that Cobalt SS ones would fit, I would like to know also if ventilated rotors on the rear makes a good diffence, etc. I will probably replace ALL parts(Rotors, pads, calipers, hoses?).

For the suspension, I want an ajustable lowering kit. Do I need to change the springs too (and maybe shock absorber) ? If yes (or even no...), what would be interesting ?

I don't want to spend too much for all that stuff, but I'm still open to suggestions.

The car is 152 000 kilometers on the odometer. Bought it at 130 000, so I don't know what has been done to it in the past.

Thanks a lot !

DelHuge

·
Registered
447 Posts
Best for the brakes would be Brembos and stainless lines if you have the money for that. In my opinion ventilated rears aren't worth it as they barely do any of the work for braking, most brake problems are with the OEM fronts not the rears.

For the suspension you're not going to have adjustable ride height with just springs, you would need coilovers for that but theres really no quality coilovers for our cars. Best bet is probably a set of lowering springs and Koni adjustable shocks, that's what I have and I love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. How much about for these brakes and suspensions upgrade ?

Anyone else suggestions ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can check prices online at various websites including summitracing.com There are some Canadian websites that may or may not have all the high end performance parts you're after, so a US source might be the better bet. Often enough I luck out buying US as it often turns out to be less after customs, taxes and shipping. http://www.autopartsway.ca/ is decent, but again, they may or may not have high performance parts. I'm almost at 100K kms!

For my 2006 GT I upgraded the brakes with Monroe pads and rotors all around. My OEM front pads lasted 65K kms with mixed city highway driving. When I swapped on my new summer rubber this week I had at a look at the pads and they still look like new.

I replaced the rear pads at 70K kms only because I noticed the inner pad on the drivers wheel was nearly worn through. The outer pad still had plenty of use left. I'm not sure what the cause was as the passenger rear wheel had wore evenly although the rotor was scored quite a bit. I replaced both rear pads and rotors anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally bought a Powerstop brake kit, front and rear drilled/slotted disk with ceramic pads. Can't wait to put them on ! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts