Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brake light switch keeps going out which makes it to where my brake lights are on until i press on the brakes then the brake light goes off. i have a 06 G6. i have had it replaced two times and it went out again. has anyone had this problem and what can i do to make sure it doesnt keep going out. my mechanic says its the way it is designed but this has happened 3 times in three months! please someone help!!!::eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brake lights stuck on

Well I've got a fairly serious problem with my 2005 G6 GT. Whenever the car is running my brake lights are stuck on constantly whether I am cruising, accelerating, or even just parking.

I've seen this problem posted with a few other G6 owners across the Internets but no one seems to have a solution.

Has anyone come across this or does anyone know of a solution? Dealerships seem to like to replace the brake switch and nothing more, wether it helps or not. I hope I can get this fixed soon, I do not want to be pulled over. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the NHTSA Website. There is currently NO FIX for this issue it plagues all of the similar GM cars with adequate on road time. (Malibu's and G6's primarily. Aura's don't seem to have as much road time or as many on the road).

At least one complaint on the site shows the dealership has been trying, replaced BPP Sensor (Note: this is not a switch anymore!), replaced EBCM, recalibrated BPP(Brake Pedal Position) Sensor, looked at several other options as well. Nothing has worked.

I am currently in the process of working with GM on this issue to get mine fixed under warranty. I am also going to start trying to push for a recall.

I ask that all owners check on their brake lights semi-regularly to see if they are on at times when the brake is not applied. This can be completed in a garage, on the street, in a parking lot, driving at night (note difference in light intensity with brakes applied), or wherever. If you see this fault report it to GM, and the NHTSA! As mentioned this is a serious problem that seems to be plaguing enough people to be seen as a design problem. Reported years 2005 to 2007.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have experienced this problem several times. It comes and goes. For me, it usually follows another problem where I can't shift out of park without "flooring" the brakes. It usually lasts through a few starts then goes away. Can never seem to duplicate it at the shop, so no repair yet. Just waiting for the next time it happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the NHTSA Website. There is currently NO FIX for this issue it plagues all of the similar GM cars with adequate on road time. (Malibu's and G6's primarily. Aura's don't seem to have as much road time or as many on the road).

At least one complaint on the site shows the dealership has been trying, replaced BPP Sensor (Note: this is not a switch anymore!), replaced EBCM, recalibrated BPP(Brake Pedal Position) Sensor, looked at several other options as well. Nothing has worked.

I am currently in the process of working with GM on this issue to get mine fixed under warranty. I am also going to start trying to push for a recall.

I ask that all owners check on their brake lights semi-regularly to see if they are on at times when the brake is not applied. This can be completed in a garage, on the street, in a parking lot, driving at night (note difference in light intensity with brakes applied), or wherever. If you see this fault report it to GM, and the NHTSA! As mentioned this is a serious problem that seems to be plaguing enough people to be seen as a design problem. Reported years 2005 to 2007.

See this in Brake Lights Stuck On posted by CharlesP2009.

I am wondering if all of these cars have ABS and Traction Control? Any Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well it appears that the problem was solved. I still need to follow up with GM on my complaint though.

The problems was in the BCM (body Control Module), this computer controls everything that happens in the vehicle, wipers, lights, radio, etc. I have been driving the car for several weeks with no reoccurence of my issue. The problem did not present itself when it went in the shop the last time a different dealer (The Areas Largest) new of the problem and fixed it within two hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My brake lights will only come on with the key in the on position..... Is this normal??? other than this, no other brake light problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a break light problem too.. My brake lights come on when i am driving my car and stay on. People that have followed me always ask me if I drive with my break and im like nooo.. do i have to change the break switch or what?? i have a 2006 g6 gt and i want to get this fixed any suggestions???????????

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06 g6 gt my lights come one when i drive and everyone thinks im driving with my breaks its very annoying and i want to get it fiexed as well.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
where did you find your brake switch i need to buy one but i am guessing i will have to go to the dealership mines doing the exact same thing..

·
Registered
6 Posts
brake light problems

everytime i take car out of park it makes a noise and u can feel it vibrate in the brake and then its hard to shift it out of park, then brake lights stay on they go off if i tap on brake then come back on in a few seconds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no its not under warnt i thought maybe the brake switch is bad or maybe needs adj but ill check the pads. thanks bro ill let u know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find out what the problem is? I have the same issue with the noise pushing on the brakes when I take it out of park and the brake lights staying on all the time. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brake light

its Body Control Mod call Pontiac bcuz there was a recall on them but only on certain VIN #s and mine wasnt one of them surprise surprise. But its located under dash on driver side and all they need to do is spray some lubricant on wires bcuz they have corrossion on them. Only cost me $40 dollars and Pontiac called local Pontiac dealer to set up time , and then when i took it in i watched them spray wires so if it happend again i do it myself. The dealer wanted to do a diagnastic check to see if that is what problem was and i said hell no , they just wanted to get more money. It only takes couple min to do , i hope this helps. Let me know what happens

1 - 20 of 107 Posts