Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Recall, dielectric grease, and the Body Control Module

There is a small recall for this problem now; apparently a limited number of 2005 G6's - but not mine >:-(

It has to do with corrosion on a Body Control Module connectors. All the dealer does with the recall is spray dielectric lubricant onto the connections. You can easily do this yourself.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Check the NHTSA Website. There is currently NO FIX for this issue it plagues all of the similar GM cars with adequate on road time. (Malibu's and G6's primarily. Aura's don't seem to have as much road time or as many on the road).

At least one complaint on the site shows the dealership has been trying, replaced BPP Sensor (Note: this is not a switch anymore!), replaced EBCM, recalibrated BPP(Brake Pedal Position) Sensor, looked at several other options as well. Nothing has worked.

I am currently in the process of working with GM on this issue to get mine fixed under warranty. I am also going to start trying to push for a recall.

I ask that all owners check on their brake lights semi-regularly to see if they are on at times when the brake is not applied. This can be completed in a garage, on the street, in a parking lot, driving at night (note difference in light intensity with brakes applied), or wherever. If you see this fault report it to GM, and the NHTSA! As mentioned this is a serious problem that seems to be plaguing enough people to be seen as a design problem. Reported years 2005 to 2007.

Great post & good for you for sticking with this very dangerous problem. It definitely shakes my confidence in GM. This has to have caused accidents.

edit: I see I got caught in the old post trap but I don't believe there has been a real resolution to this yet as some of the attempts at fixes turn out to be only temporary fixes.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There is a small recall for this problem now; apparently a limited number of 2005 G6's - but not mine >:-(

It has to do with corrosion on a Body Control Module connectors. All the dealer does with the recall is spray dielectric lubricant onto the connections. You can easily do this yourself.

Unfortunately, the connector fretting corrosion fix has not fixed this for many. Or seemed to help only temporarily.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Build Dates : 2005-01-01 - 2005-01-31
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 09V036000
Date Owner's Notified: 2009-02-17 Date Received by ODI: 2009-01-30 Date Added to Database: 2009-01-30
Manufacturers Involved: GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall:
Manufacturer Campaign Number: 80317
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 8012
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 8,012 MY 2005-2006 PONTIAC G6 VEHICLES. THE BRAKE LAMPS MAY NOT OPERATE PROPERLY BECAUSE OF CORROSION IN A WIRING CONNECTOR. CORROSION IN THE CONNECTOR COULD CAUSE THE BRAKE LAMPS TO ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL HAS NOT BEEN DEPRESSED, OR THE LAMPS MAY NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED. IN ADDITION, THE CRUISE CONTROL MAY NOT ENGAGE, AND GREATER BRAKE PEDAL FORCE MAY BE REQUIRED TO SHIFT THE VEHICLE OUT OF PARK.
Consequence:
BRAKE LAMPS THAT ARE NOT OPERATING PROPERLY MAY NOT WARN A DRIVER IN A FOLLOWING VEHICLE OF THE BRAKING STATUS AND COULD LEAD TO A CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL APPLY A DIELECTRIC LUBRICANT TO THE CONNECTOR TO PREVENT CORROSION. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FOR YOU FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 17, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1- 800-620-7668 OR OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
Report Initiator: ODI V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 80317.CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 'TTY 1-800-424-9153', OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Searching elsewhere on the web shows that more and more people are having this problem. When I first experienced the problem 2 years ago no one had a clue what it was so I ended up wasting money replacing the brake switch to no avail.

Whether you've fixed the problem or not, I STRONGLY recommend that all people experiencing this issue go to http://www.safercar.gov/ and file a report about the problem. It's important that you enter your VIN on the report so we cab get a wider recall for this issue.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Searching elsewhere on the web shows that more and more people are having this problem. When I first experience the problem 2 years ago no one had a clue what it was so I ended up wasting money replacing the brake switch to no avail.

Whether you've fixed the problem or not, I STRONGLY recommend that all people experiencing this issue go to http://www.safercar.gov/ and file a report about the problem. It's important that you enter your VIN on the report so we cab get a wider recall for this issue.
So far then you've replaced the brake pedal position sensor & lubricated the BCM connector/s & that has not solved it for you permanently?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fixing BCM Connector with Dielectric Grease

For those of your interested in doing the fix yourself (and saving potentially $190), the BCM is located on the lower right hand-side of your center console just below the CD player and A/C controls. All you need is some dielectric grease which can be found at any automotive supply or hardware store.

Be sure to disconnect the negative terminal to your battery before beginning or you might get the service engine soon light after completing the task!

To start you'll need to remove the black plastic panel by pulling on the right hand side of the panel and pulling out. The offending connector is the blue one on the bottom left of the BCM assembly. I've attached an image showing the connector in a red rectangle.

Pull up on the grey plastic retainer and move it out of the way. Then you can pull the blue connector straight out. Apply a pea sized amount of the grease to the connector and spread evenly to across the entire surface.

Replace the blue connector, pull down and re-secure the grey plastic retainer, and replace the black panel. Reconnect the negative terminal of your battery.

When I completed the process my first start was a bit rough and the exhaust smelled stronger than usual, I guess everything computer-related on the car was reset and sorting itself out. It's been a week since I've completed the process and I haven't had a single occurrence of the brake lights sticking on and everything on the car seems to be functioning normally.

BCM assembly image:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greasing the BCM

I agre with Charles. I did the same thing, except that it was the BCM C2 that I did. The BCM that Charles indicated is the BCM C3. Here is a good posting that I found on just answer. http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/43fqd-2006-g6-drops-cruise-brake-lights-erratic-think.html
Here is a link to a diagram of the BCM with labels http://www.fixya.com/cars/t6932515-bcm_located
I originally did this fix due to the cruise control not working, after researching the problem I found out the brake lights would stay on as well. I've only used the cruise control on a 1 hour trip to and from the beach but it worked the entire time.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,354 Posts
I just tried this and it reset my mileage!!! WOO HOOOOOOO

WIN WIN WIN :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

j/k :p

·
G6 Enthusiast
24 Posts
Thanks Charles! worked like a charm. Unfortunately I beat your record by fixing this in about 32 seconds lol. Hope you had a Merry Christmas man. Cheers!

·
G6 Enthusiast
24 Posts
just a follow up from my previous post....this trick only lasted a couple of days, as my brake lights came back on while driving on the highway today after using the dielectric grease on the connector...i dont know what else to do other than just take it to the dealer now:confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
just a follow up from my previous post....this trick only lasted a couple of days, as my brake lights came back on while driving on the highway today after using the dielectric grease on the connector...i dont know what else to do other than just take it to the dealer now:confused:
Did you apply to the correct connector? Did you apply a sufficient amount of grease? Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first to reset everything?

There is a chance that there is something wrong with the brake pedal position sensor or that your BCM is bad but I've found more often than not that the dielectric application does the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bcm

Hi, I am currently experiencing the same issue. You indicated it was fixed after replacing the BCM. I see your post was in 2008. Is the problem still "fixed"? I have been told the BCM is the problem, but 400.00 to repair! I just wanna get some feedback before I spend the money. I just paid them 300.00 to replace a 26.00 part

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of your interested in doing the fix yourself (and saving potentially $190), the BCM is located on the lower right hand-side of your center console just below the CD player and A/C controls. All you need is some dielectric grease which can be found at any automotive supply or hardware store.

Be sure to disconnect the negative terminal to your battery before beginning or you might get the service engine soon light after completing the task!

To start you'll need to remove the black plastic panel by pulling on the right hand side of the panel and pulling out. The offending connector is the blue one on the bottom left of the BCM assembly. I've attached an image showing the connector in a red rectangle.

Pull up on the grey plastic retainer and move it out of the way. Then you can pull the blue connector straight out. Apply a pea sized amount of the grease to the connector and spread evenly to across the entire surface.

Replace the blue connector, pull down and re-secure the grey plastic retainer, and replace the black panel. Reconnect the negative terminal of your battery.

When I completed the process my first start was a bit rough and the exhaust smelled stronger than usual, I guess everything computer-related on the car was reset and sorting itself out. It's been a week since I've completed the process and I haven't had a single occurrence of the brake lights sticking on and everything on the car seems to be functioning normally.

BCM assembly image:

How is the fix? I am considering your repair method. Is everything still working okay?

Thanks

41 - 60 of 108 Posts