Pontiac G6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Safety Agency Investigating Brake-Light Problem in Pontiacs

The same damn thing happens in several GM models. It really is outrageous that GM won't just step up & solve this brake lamp issue which affects so many of their cars. I guess there haven't been enough reported accidents or deaths yet:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/safety-agency-investigating-brake-light-problem-in-pontiacs/

AND:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130312/OEM11/130319973#axzz2RsECjPr2

AND:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130313/AUTO0103/303130332

·
Romo9
2 Posts
In my case this has happened to me twice - both times after getting my brakes fixed/rotors replaced. For MY situation is was not the brake switch as others have mentioned. But it did affect my brake lights as well as cruise control. The issue is that the CPU is losing its memory because the computer has drained out while being fixed. ( Do not know what this means....only what i was told by a certified dealer./mechanic). Each time I just had to have my CPU reset- $80-$100 each time and have not had ONE issue since- hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Im pretty sure if you disconnect the battery for even a year and then come back to it. The PCM/bcm won't loose any memory that can hinder function. Just stuff like readiness monitors and user settings may get lost and have to be reset.
there is a common corrosion issue on the bcm, but even that fix doesn't require a "reset".
I would found out exactly what the shop did, sounds like they're charging you for nothing. I bet they just disconnected and reconnected the battery to "reset" it.

·
Romo9
2 Posts
Not sure how they are being crooks if what they did....worked. For the rec0ord I had a friend suggest unhooking the battery to reset the computer and that worked for 4 days then all the issues came back. Again these computer memory loss issues only happened twice- immediately both times after having the same garage, not the dealership, work on my brakes/rotors. I took iot to the dealership a dozen times trying to make it replicate the issue etc when a supervisor finally took over and said the computer was losing memory and needed to be reset. Its a giant PITA but I'm sure its cheaper than letting a dealership do the job and pay big $$$.

I'll try and find my receipt....but when it happened the second time i took it to the dealership and said whatever you did last time, do it again. It was cheaper the second time around (less labor time) and it is still working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
brake light/ stays on

its the bcm module, it gets corroded thats what the lights stay on, the fix is simple all u need is duroelectric grease and put it on the bcm module u will need to unplug the bcm and spread it, and then rehook up it should be as good as new, i did this back in feb, and i have had no prb with it, any questions let me know, i have 05 pontiac g6 gt with panaramic roof,

·
Registered
1 Posts
good as new!

i was having the same problems, brake lights staying on while driving and then turning off when i pressed the brake pedal, put some dielectric grease on both the connections on the passengers side panel and presto! good as new, it also turned off my tire warning light the dealer couldn't get to go away, as well as fixed my cruise control which cut out a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The cruise control probably was disabled because the car thought you were holding the brakes on. Since braking turns off the CC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GM is negligent.

I brought my car in for service 3 times to have this issue permanently resolved. The issue has returned and now they want to charge me for the service.

This is a defect and will likely be recalled.

The NHTSA in the states and Transport Canada are currently investigating the issue.

Be sure to call the relevant organization and file a complaint to help with their ongoing investigation.

Also call Lori at GM she is Management in their Customer Care Centre. She will be able to assist you.

905-644-5000 Ext: 2712
1-800-263-3777 Ext: 2712

For more information check out the following article:
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130610/OEM11/130619996#axzz2ZmYh7gqc

Hope this helps!

Drive safe,

Matt

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
if ur brake lights are still operating backwards of normal, then u either didn't do the procedure correctly or the brake pedal position (BPP) sensor needs recalibration which requires a mechanic's scan tool. the odds that it's caused by a bad bcm are very low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 08 G6 GT and my car has had this problem. On cold mornings I will go out and start the car to warm up, and when I get out of the car and look back, the brake lights are on. I get back in the car and pump the brakes once, and the brake lights go off. I mentioned this to the Chevy dealer I take my car to, and "We have never heard of that. You probably need a new brake switch." Well I haven't replaced the brake switch, and the problem seems to have fixed itself. I haven't noticed the brake lights coming on by themselves lately. Go to You tube, and there are videos showing how to fix it. Something about a module under the console that need grease in it or something. Not sure if that is a fix or not. I have heard of people driving with their cruise control on and the brake lights will come on by themselves and make the cruise disengage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM Dropped the ball on this recall. This recall should be extended to cover the relearning of the switch sensor or a new sensor switch and also any battery that needed to be replaced. The faulty BCM is draining batteries and costing more money. Dealer not willing to refund battery money even with the documents from GM CS. Recall was fixed today - have yet to get the car back over another issue that should be a recall, but is just a service bulletin for the past several years. The quick fix is the dielectrical grease - the long term solution is GM will have to replace all of these faulty BCM's as they are the cause of many more issue than just the lights/cruise/park issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys! I know how to fix this one. Most of us thought it was the pedal position switch and we go through a lot if them and it doesn't fix the problem.... Its not the pedal switch... Its the BCM (body control module). GM actually had a real on this, but it is super easy to fix on your own.

First things first, find the BCM. It is in the dash under the radio. Don't fret, it's easy to get to. Look in the passenger side floor board, the front most panel needs to be removed, but it's just velcro'd on, so just pull it off. And there's the BCM, its got the fuses on it and 3 big connectors.

Next step is to remove the driver's side panel to as to open up the space and make it a little easier to reach.

***** As with any other major electrical component, make sure you unhook your batter cables and let it set for about 30 minutes to completely discharge the circuit before removing or reconnecting any electrical connectors.*****

After that, reomve the 3 connectors on the passenger side of the BCM and then take out the 3 small (7mm hex head) bolts holding the BCM to its bracket. There is another connector on the backside of the BCM that also needs to be removed.

With the BCM completely disconnected and free from the dash, use an electrical component cleaner in aerosol form (because it evaporates quickly without a residue) and spray the connectors on the BCM and on the harnesses that plugged into the BCM. Let the cleaner fully evaporate.

After the connectors are clean, pack them full of di-electric grease. Now just put it all back together.

After everything is put back together and fastened snuggly, reconnect your battery.

You should be good to go at this point and you shouldn't have any more trouble with intermittent or "reversed" brake lights.

Hope this helped!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys! I know how to fix this one. Most of us thought it was the pedal position switch and we go through a lot if them and it doesn't fix the problem.... Its not the pedal switch... Its the BCM (body control module). GM actually had a real on this, but it is super easy to fix on your own.

First things first, find the BCM. It is in the dash under the radio. Don't fret, it's easy to get to. Look in the passenger side floor board, the front most panel needs to be removed, but it's just velcro'd on, so just pull it off. And there's the BCM, its got the fuses on it and 3 big connectors.

Next step is to remove the driver's side panel to as to open up the space and make it a little easier to reach.

***** As with any other major electrical component, make sure you unhook your batter cables and let it set for about 30 minutes to completely discharge the circuit before removing or reconnecting any electrical connectors.*****

After that, reomve the 3 connectors on the passenger side of the BCM and then take out the 3 small (7mm hex head) bolts holding the BCM to its bracket. There is another connector on the backside of the BCM that also needs to be removed.

With the BCM completely disconnected and free from the dash, use an electrical component cleaner in aerosol form (because it evaporates quickly without a residue) and spray the connectors on the BCM and on the harnesses that plugged into the BCM. Let the cleaner fully evaporate.

After the connectors are clean, pack them full of di-electric grease. Now just put it all back together.

After everything is put back together and fastened snuggly, reconnect your battery.

You should be good to go at this point and you shouldn't have any more trouble with intermittent or "reversed" brake lights.

Hope this helped!!
GM has a recall, not a "real", lol, typo

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brake light switch keeps going out which makes it to where my brake lights are on until i press on the brakes then the brake light goes off. i have a 06 G6. i have had it replaced two times and it went out again. has anyone had this problem and what can i do to make sure it doesnt keep going out. my mechanic says its the way it is designed but this has happened 3 times in three months! please someone help!!!::eek:
watch this video... i'm gonna try it and see if it works... cuz my brake lights on on while driving and off while breaking.. when i'm parked they will be one as i press on the pedal they turn off and the harder i push then they come on.. they stay off for a few and then turn back on... hopefully it works... also watch this video....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so i've done some research... here are the two video's i've found... it's not always the breaklight switch as i thought it could be... I plan to try this as I just purchased a 2006 g6 and i have the on brake light issue... so watch these video's and try this cheap fix... I'll also let you all know how it goes for me when I have done it tomorrow....

81 - 100 of 107 Posts