Pontiac G6 Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't figure this out. My brake lights and rear blinkers don't work but my tail lights, center mounted brake light and reverse lights do. I've replaced the bulbs, the fuse and, now today, the relay and nothing has worked. In reading through previous Internet searches, I've learned of a common issue with the g6 model is the brake lights staying on and going off when the brake pedal is compressed. This is now happening with my center mounted brake light and I'm just at a loss now so any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem on my 07 G6 a few years ago. Had the dealer replace the brake light switch and the next day it was doing the same thing. Took it back and they fixed it. Said the new switch they put in was defective. NOT!!!!! A year or two later around 2013-14 I went back for a recall and also I believe there was a recall for the brake light problem. I had my original paperwork and they had to refund me the $140 I paid them to replace the brake light switch. The problem I believe if memory serves me correctly was a BCM ( Body control module) which I believe is inside the console on the passenger side behind the access door. I believe it has to be cleaned of corrosion and sprayed with Dielectric grease to cure the problem. Here is the recall # for this service13036 Attached are pictures of the recall letter. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brake light/Cruise control problems

There was a recall issued for this problem. The recall # is 13036. I had paid for repairs which did not solve the problem before it was issued and they had to refund my costs and repair the problem again to fulfill the recall. Attached is the letter with the recall number and what they are going to do to it. here is the Consumer Reports explanation of this issue also
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/gm-recalls-nearly-25-million-vehicles-with-electrical-problems-051614.html

Also seen this in that reports comments. Take it for what its worth but it says it is covered now for 15 yrs or 150K
I just received a notice from GM (March 2017) identifying this issue, associated with my 2007 Pontiac G6, but it is not identified as a recall. The letter states in underlined bold print "Do not take your vehicle to your General Motors dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above." The letter then states that GM is providing additional protection for this condition to include coverage for 15 years from the in-service date or 150k miles, whichever occurs first. An attachment entitled "GM Product Field Action Customer Reimbursement Request Form" is provided.

It seems that GM has chosen to put the onus on the owner to determine whether the condition exists in their particular vehicle, and not have to service every vehicle in the suspected population. It also appears that the owner must pay for the repair and then claim reimbursement from GM.

Attachments

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
My brake light switch keeps going out which makes it to where my brake lights are on until i press on the brakes then the brake light goes off. i have a 06 G6. i have had it replaced two times and it went out again. has anyone had this problem and what can i do to make sure it doesnt keep going out. my mechanic says its the way it is designed but this has happened 3 times in three months! please someone help!!!::eek:
The metal pins in the connectors need to be replaced. Newer cars have plated pins, if the contacts are not 100% you get micro arching and deposits of carbon which is why the problem gets slowly and progressively worse over time. It causes all sorts of unexplainable problems because it's similar to a brown out on your house. Just a loss of partial power. Thanks s why it is so difficult to diagnose. The only way and best way to do any type of diagnostic is a voltage drop test. The best technicians and engineers will know what this is and why it's preferred. If you can figure how much power the circuit requires (1/3 of the fuse amperage) then test the complete circuit and see where your voltage/amperage drop is. Narrows it down real quick. 9 times out of 10, it's a connector pin.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts