Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
441 Posts
I have been looking around at the brake upgrades out there and many have also pointed towards the cobalt ss (As said before, front only) - my question, does the brake system really need the upgrade? Again - improve the engine enough of course but realistically with what is available, unless your dog F-ing this car do you need it?
Dave

· LCPL Cobb
67 Posts
I just bought new rotors and pads for my GT sedan. They're ATE performance slotted rotors and Hawk HPS High Performance pads. I only did the front, didn't bother with the back yet, but everything cost me around $240 after shipping. Check out www.TireRack.com and see what they have.

· Premium Member
510 Posts
I have been looking around at the brake upgrades out there and many have also pointed towards the cobalt ss (As said before, front only) - my question, does the brake system really need the upgrade? Again - improve the engine enough of course but realistically with what is available, unless your dog F-ing this car do you need it?
Dave
Well, our cars have a common problem of warped rotors after time so it may or may not happen to you. Mine did so I got new rotors.

· Love my commute!
144 Posts
Want to chime in here.

I didn't "upgrade" exactly, but I did a full install of Wagner Thermoquiets with Wagner rotors on my 2006 GTP and I am quite pleased with their performance. Pedal travel is a lot more than I'm used to with other cars, however, when I need to get on it the brakes will stop me perfectly.

Price for front and rear pads and rotors and four cans of brake parts cleaner (only used a can and a half on the car but also use the stuff to clean my guns) was $359.81 from O'Reilly.

Tools needed; Jack, jackstand, tire chocks, 6 inch C-Clamp, 6 inch pry-bar, mm socket set (especially 10mm, 13mm, 14mm) and mm wrench set (a breaker bar or long 3/8" drive ratchet will help also) and rent a set of caliper tools to compress the rear calipers...or use a pair of needlenose pliers and get ready to cuss a lot.

In case this is the first time brakes have been replaced on your car, your rotors will have Dammit washers on the studs; Two per wheel. I named them dammit washers because you have to basically destroy them to remove them and will yell "DAMMIT" or worse while getting them off. They basically hold the rotors on at the factory on the assembly line until the car reaches the tech. who installs the tires and lug nuts. I'd recommend channel locks, a flat blade screwdriver...maybe even a pair of diagonal cutters (*****, wire-cutters, etc.) to get them off.

Tip: When compressing the calipers, put tension on the ram of the caliper with the clamp or caliper tool, then crack open the bleeder valve (have a drain pan ready and GO SLOW because fluid will squirt out when compressing the calipers) and compress the calipers the rest of the way. This will prevent the crap that has built up in your calipers and lower lines from being blasted back up through your brake system. If you go this route, have a can of DOT3 or DOT4 (NOT DOT5) ready to top off the reservoir after each wheel.

· Registered
7 Posts
W3apOn-x, I used a pair of neddle-nose pliers to remove the "dammit washers", I just twisted the tabs straight up and spun the washers off. I reused them by tapped the tabs backdown with a plastic mallet, then used a deep socket to seat them on the studs against the new rotors. I reused the washers because it was easier to hold the whole assembly together when I installed the calipers.
B.B.

· Registered
11 Posts
I went with Brembo rotors (not slotted, drilled or dimpled) and Akebono ProAct ceramic pads. The calipers are coincidentally Akebono too (stock believe it or not). No problems for 60K now. I have VERY positive pedal feel. Not mushy one bit.

· Registered
117 Posts
There are twin piston calipers that I have seen. I would believe these are Saab sourced, but will fit our car. I've debated doing this myself, but lack the finances :(

· Registered
12 Posts
Cobalt SS Brembo Brake Upgrade

I put the Cobalt Brembo brake upgrade on my 2007 G6. They look great and perform even better. The rotors used on the Cobalts are not Brembo so I bought EBC dimpled and slotted performance rotors. My wheel would not clear the larger calipers so I used an Eibach 5mm wheel spacer. I recommend the thinnest wheel spacer to eliminate tire rub and buy a high quality hub-centric one.

And I know the bleeder is pointing down in the pic, I realized my mistake after taking the picture.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello, my name is Brandon and I would like to offer my help. I run a side biz and what we do is custom cnc machining. Badges, brackets, big brake kit, etc. We do anything. Most importantly what I do is fill a need. I strive to find a gap where the aftermarket as over looked. It seems there is a lack of big brake kits for g6's. I have much experience in making big brake kits for cars and trucks. Please check out.monztermotorsports.com
I am on vaca now but will add more info on Monday. Please let me know if I can help you guys. I have access to a 2006 G6.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.