Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
New Owner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '05 G6 V6. High mileage, over 90,000. I'm starting to get vibrations in the brake pedal, are my rotor's warped?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I think so. I'm having that prob w/ another car. I feel it more when my speed is slower. I plan to replace the rotars with new and go with ceramic pads. The ceramic pads do not produce as much black brake dust.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, your rotors are warped, it's a common thing for the G6. You can either have them resurfaced (they will last you about a year before they start warping again) or replace them with some aftermarket rotors. Preferably drilled or slotted to reduce temp build up.

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
yup yup there warped i just replaced mine. But i still had the warranty :) so they turn them for free you just have to buy the brake pads and if the rotors are warped bad like mine were they replace them free of cost (only if you have warranty) Caution: if you have warranty make sure you go to a GM dealer Pontiac will not refund you any money that you spent somewhere else because that dealer was closed on the weekends lol my friend did it and cost him like 300 just for the fronts so watch out for that. and you can usally tell that your brakes are warped if your stearing wheel shakes when your braking thats the front brakes that are bad.

·
Registered
585 Posts
When my car was still under warranty, my GM dealership would not honor the warranty for the warped rotors, so i went to a local firestone shop, replaced my breaks, and they turned my rotors for free. When the rotors start warping again, i replace them at that time.

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
well im sorry dude ya some places wont do that but i know a couple people up there at the GM dealer so ya i mean there are some other places that do it you just have to know someone or make sure there cool enough to change the brakes that way

·
Registered
585 Posts
before i moved to Texas, i had a GM shop in Cali that would take care of me, just because i was there all the time. They would cover stuff under warranty even when i expected to pay for it, so needless to say, i've been really disappointed with the GM shops here in north texas.

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
ya well i will hit the 36,000 mile mark next week when i drive home so there goes my warranty lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 03 Impala warped at 30,000 miles...my G6 is warped, but not too bad at 17,000 miles. GM puts very cheap rotors on their vehicles. I switched my Impala to Wagner rotors and pads and they were good for about 60,000 miles without any trouble.

·
Registered
166 Posts
okay so my 07 G6 is making vibration, i got them resurfaced, and it was fine for a while.. and the vibrations started again, and so I went to the dealer and the apparently "greased" something.. and the noise was gone.. so now.. the vibrations are back. What I wanted to know is if i put better rotors , would the vibrations come back??

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
is the vibrations in your steering wheel if so you need to replace them. which ones you buy is up to you. buy quality if you dont want them warping so quickly cause pontiac does not do that for you. and not only that hoping that when you do or if you do speed that right after your not washing your car for the simple fact the rotors are hot and your putting cold water on them makes them warp faster over time also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well after going to the dealer my 6th time and calling GM head office. They finally grew a brain and decided to change the rotors! and as it turns out! the rotors were warped/uneven and that was the cause of the problem! It was covered under warranty. So didn't pay a cent! Well not going to that dealer anymore!

Went to another dealer and asked them about putting aftermarket parts (rotors and pads and aftermarket intake system) on my G6 and if it will void the warranty or not. They said if you install the part yourself, it will not void the warranty, however, if something goes wrong or breaks and that the cause of the part breaking was because of what you install then it voids the warranty.

On another note they also mentioned that if you buy and aftermarker part (rotors and pads and aftermarket intake system) , and if a GM dealer installs it for you then it won't void the warranty even if that part was the cause.

·
Registered
166 Posts
no they didnt' replace the pads.. gotta love the DEALER! they didin't even ask me to replace them! when they replaced the rotors.. it was fine for about 2 weeks i think.. and well i heard the noise yday again.. so would it have to do with the pads?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts