Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell my 2006 G6 is using two front disk brake pads to stop the entire vehicle. :eek: :eek: :eek:

With 33,000 mostly highway miles the front disk inner pad wear indicator started grinding.
So I took a look. The outer pads on both front wheels look ok with plenty of pad left.

The inner pads on both front wheels were shot - hence the two pads that do most of the stopping are these.

And you can see from the picture the rear breaks aren't getting used on both wheels.

Is this normal? I've hardly used the breaks over the last four years.

My car has eight disk pads - two are stopping the car - seems a little strange. :confused: :confused:

Is there any kind of recall on this??

Attachments

·
Old man of the SE
5 Posts
Your inner pads are worn because your sliders aren't lubricated. When you step on the brakes the puck comes out of the caliper and both pads get the same amount of pressure. If the slider pins are dry or worn, the caliper doesn't slide back and the inner pads drag on the rotor.

The fronts do most of the braking. That rear rotor does look bad - I would replace it with a pair that's zinc plated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
brake job info

I just replaced my brake pads and rotors for the rear of the car, was $100, when you take the caliper off, there is a braket there, with pins and rubber dust boots, pull pins out and clean them, use high temp brake grease put them back in, + make sure the pin with plastic is on the bottom,top has none. had 118000 KM on the car and the rear old rotors was in bad shape, no wonder it shook, I also checked the pins on the front brakes and found passenger side one of the pins was seized, had to use pliers to move it, prev person never used brake grease, they used anti seize by accidnert. works better now, alfter this was all done, the bearing for the drivers side went as well, 150 bucks, great... so if a pin is seized, that is whey one pad would be worn out

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.