Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 G6 that i purchased brand new, and now with only 8600 miles on her the brakes are slightly squealing and pulsing/vibrating when slowing down from 45+mph.

has anybody had this same problem with low mileage on their car? i made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow, but i still think it is ridiculous to have this happening at only 8600 miles.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Sure! The most common reason for this is some kind of immediate cooling of a section of the disc; like water splashing. The disc are rather cheap so if you have a few extra bucks buy some higher quality disc. Once again,:rolleyes: check out Lampoons brake set up. He has some good pics of the brakes.

:DWe need to give him a raise!:D

EDIT;
If you have been driving around for a while and stop by the car wash to spray your 6 down, don't spray the brake disc. That would be immediate cooling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so today i took the car to the dealer to have a few issues looked at. they fixed the annoying brake pedal noise by flushing the brake system and putting in a new/revised fluid.

i went with them on a test drive and they noticed the brake noise and vibration. i have to take it back to them on monday since the parts needed to be ordered...but i get new rotors and pads and the driver side rear wheel hub is faulty and needs to be replaced also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had to take mine back to the dealer at 20k. The brakes started to pulse when braked. The dealer took .001-.003 off the rotor and the problem went away. I'm at 31k now and everything is still fine. And everything was still under warranty. I was suprised at that.

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
My 07 does that, what you may want to try is to get up to 45-50 and slam them (will update ya'll how that worked for me). That should take care of the issue if high pressure washing doesn't work (some dealerships may say different) but that works sometimes on BMW that I work on.

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
I just looked into that company and I think i am going to put some slotted rotors and pads on mine.
Are you doin the slotted and drilled or just sloted. I personally don't see a reason to do slotted and drilled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My brakes do a funny thing when the outside is very cold, they kinda skid/skip and it feels like they wont grip the disks or something. Is that a break disk problem or just the cold issue?

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
ABS will make it seem like the rotors are not being gripped but the fact is that they are gripping so hard and working to allow the rotors to turn (prevent lock up).
But water can be an issue too...
here you want apply the brakes slightly before you start driving, so that they may dry.
Cool thing about BMWs is that they have a built in sensor to detect rain/water and they pulsate to prevent a slippery rotor/pad contact.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need anymore help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
At about 50k miles, I noticed a slider on the rear brakes had jammed due to a lot f stop and go driving in traffic so I had uneven break wear and had to replace pads sooner than otherwise. Has anyone had any luck with separators to reset the break piston when changing pads? I have a brake sqeaking problem now so I am changing pads and re-surfacing rotors. Regards!

Overworked G6

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Rusty.

I drove last night in rain and sleet from delaware to DC at speeds > 80 mph and had no problem. Looks like a cold issue.

ABS will make it seem like the rotors are not being gripped but the fact is that they are gripping so hard and working to allow the rotors to turn (prevent lock up).
But water can be an issue too...
here you want apply the brakes slightly before you start driving, so that they may dry.
Cool thing about BMWs is that they have a built in sensor to detect rain/water and they pulsate to prevent a slippery rotor/pad contact.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need anymore help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts