Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a little digging and found out that on popular car sites like edmunds and kelly blue book have a common complaint with "lackluster" brakes. I've been wanting to upgrade my brakes and rotors to drilled and/or slotted and a nice set of calipers (strictly for the professional look of REAL calipers that aren't just painted, but come that way.) and a nice smooth brake pad that, when I need to REALLY stop almost immediately, will deliver without question. I destroyed my first car (brand new kia forte ex) because traffic jolted to a stop and I wasn't able to stop in time when I realized it. I put my foot all the way into the brake and it kept going and pushed my foot back even. If the brakes are as lackluster as my old forte, which also almost killed me when a truck pulled over on me and almost took my front end off (yeah we have the bad drivers where i live) I slammed on brakes, barely dodging him and the car barely dropped 5 mph per second. I've probably been spoiled though, I used to drive around in a 01 f150 and the brakes on that thing were PHENOMENAL! But that truck is thousands of pounds heavier though so I shouldn't feel like my brakes are just paperweights.

So now that my rambling is done, What brake set up does everyone have/want/recommend?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
First off. I hate Kias... it was pushing the brake pedal back probaboy because of the abs. The best thing to do is let off soghtly so they can grip better instead of constantly having to pump the pressure away from calipers. Try it in the snow sometime in a parking lot, youll get a better idea. But there are a few options out there. You can get the better rotors online. I went with R1Concepts.com and like many others I am really happy with them. I just got the plain OEM rotors because I don't need any of that drilled or slotted crap. Its more for looks unless you intend to race your car all the time. I went with ceramic pads which are great for daily driving. But once again if you plan to race then not rrecommended. Even ceramic pads will suffer from brake fade under extreme conditions.

Also brembo makes a big brake kit for the cobalt. The front rotors and calipers will fit the G6. Some users have done it, check out G6performance.com there should be info somewhere.

I was looking into a brake swap from a Saab 9-3 but haven't gotten very far with it.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
my first set of replacement rotors was drilled and slotted.
I could never get use to the "whirrr" sound that the dimpled & drilled make
so when I found a nice set of Brembos off a Cobalt SS I took that as an opportunity to
switch again. This go round I married the new brembos with slotted only.

Every blue moon the brembos will squeel a tiny bit....Its usually when Ive gone a long time without washin the car.....which leeds me to believe it has to do with a build up of dust. Then again most brembo owners say they all do that.

Ive been very happy with the improvement. Just remember you have to bump of the size of the rotor to the Cobalt SS stock size when you get the upgraded caliper if it doesnt come with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you want to upgrade the braking with out changing the calipers try doing the R1 concept OEM Premium Rotors with a set of Hawk PC or HPS pads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit, I am a sucker for the look of drilled and/or slotted rotors. But to clarify my vagueness when I say "brake" I mean the entire braking system including calipers, rotor, pads, brake fluid lines, etc. I am willing to splurge for the safety and cool factor. My thing is, I don't want to lose another car to another overactive ABS. Unlike my Kia, I LOVE my G6. I refused a cobalt ss for the 6 and I do not regret it one bit. But the ABS on these lighter cars is ridiculous. I drive without my traction control on my 6 for that very reason. I am a very capable driver and I want almost no assistance from my car other than cruise and the automatic transmission. (unless of course its weather related, night-time when i cant see, or anything on the road like oil and whatnot. then i throw my TC back on.) Poon I've heard nice thing about brembos, what did you have to do to fit them exactly because if I remember/heard correctly, you can't use em with stock 17x7 steelies. *Btw Poon, your 6 looks sick!*

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I can snap a pic. But all I did was OEM style rotors with painted stock calipers. So you won't see much. And I'm with you on the ABS there were cases where ABS actually caused an accident when a competent driver was behind the wheel.

I see what you want to do now. You can replace all the brake hoses at the wheels with steel braided lines to increase their life and reduce swelling under pressure. At that point you can completely change over the brake fluid to a better type. I forgot who dot fluid it is, but it has a higher boiling point so it can withstand more abuse.

As lampoon said those drilled rotors can be noisy. I have a buddy who regularly tracks his evo, he was telling me he went with slotted to keep the pads clean, which makes sense. But if you look he's running drilled and slotted... probably because of the track time that car sees.

There isn't much else you can do except for the brembo big brake upgrade. I know my ceramics with OEM rotors stop fantastically. Really firm pedal and amazing braking ability. But obviously a bigger rotor with a bigger caliper can only improve the function.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last time I was seriously on forums to beef up my G6, before I got discouraged, I saw that Brembos are considerably larger than the normal calipers and they require some modification to fit. What are we talking here? New wheels with deeper well? Wheel spacers for clearance? I am quite curious about the Brems. Yeah if drilled were that great, everyone would have them and I've seen very few, but I just LOVE the way they look lol. But slotted fits me fine. What types of pads are out there? All I've ever heard about is ceramic. I think I even have duralast ceramics from autozone equipped right now. (which are performing the way I like without TC on of course)

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I think many people with brembos and stock wheels just run a 5mm spacer to clear the caliper... but idk how that is for the steelies. I've read mixed info on mods being needed to fit them. Some say it takes a bit, others say it bolts right up. Hopefully Lampoon can shed some light :D

There are a lot of pad choices. Ceramics are great for daily use. But it helps to identify the type of driving you plan to primarily do.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I currently have the Brembo setup but have not achieved funtional installation yet. The do bolt right up with out any issues. My problem is the wheel clearance. I tried 1/4" spacers and 1" wheel adapters with no avail. I am going to try the 5mm spacers in the spring and see if they work. I'm crossing my fingers hard.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I think a brembo brake kit is in my future... I wonder if there's a way to make our stock front brakes work as upgraded rear brakes? But then again e-brake issues come to mind...
And it probably won't bolt up without some modifications...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts