Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does it seem like when it is time to buy a new car, there is a huge hole in the market, namely where Pontiac used to be? I have never owned any car except Pontiacs and everything out there now seems blah! Remember when Trans Am and Camaro were competing? Imagine how nasty the Trans Am would be now? And the G6 could have had a lot more development too, rival any import sports car out there today.
So for the GM reps looking at these posts, bring back Pontiac!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Pontiac is damaged and is a laughing stock in the automotive world with vehicles like the Aztek, Montana, G5, Vibe, etc. Get rid of these overstyled, non-performance models and they may have a good chance in the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Moanalua

Is it just me or does it seem like when it is time to buy a new car, there is a huge hole in the market, namely where Pontiac used to be? I have never owned any car except Pontiacs and everything out there now seems blah! Remember when Trans Am and Camaro were competing? Imagine how nasty the Trans Am would be now? And the G6 could have had a lot more development too, rival any import sports car out there today.
So for the GM reps looking at these posts, bring back Pontiac!!
@haliburton G6: Oh, rest assured, it's not just you. There's a person on GMI who's been saying that for a couple of years now. And like you, I too have never owned any brand of car but Pontiac (I now own a Trans Am). Hopefully someone in GM's front office will notice this thread and the dozens like it. Pontiac has a large following, and GM should consider heeding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I so wish they would! That's all I've ever owned and wish they would bring Pontiac back! I often think what if pontiac was still around? What would the new models look like?!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I so wish they would! That's all I've ever owned and wish they would bring Pontiac back! I often think what if pontiac was still around? What would the new models look like?!
@Kcmichael93: I think we ALL need to band together and DEMAND that GM revive Pontiac. There are so MANY Pontiac fans spread throughout the US and Canada. Pontiac was #3 at GM, and was perhaps the most popular GM brand in Canada. When you Google "Bring Back Pontiac", there are DOZENS of threads/sites. All of we Pontiac fans are car-buying customers, and GM ought to heed us. As we can see by all these threads/sites, there are a LOT of us, and there's strength in numbers. Let's all keep pushing for Pontiac's return! Let's not give-up!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would buy another G6 and any Trans Am in a minute, have down payment, am prepared to order today, just have to go over options and such. Or maybe a Bonneville SSEI, OMG that would be what GM needs to beat chrysler and there new charger challenger dart line up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would buy another G6 and any Trans Am in a minute, have down payment, am prepared to order today, just have to go over options and such. Or maybe a Bonneville SSEI, OMG that would be what GM needs to beat chrysler and there new charger challenger dart line up.
@haliburton G6: GM needs to start getting a clue about folks like you. There's another person just like you on GMI, and in his posts he said that unless and until Pontiac returns, he's switching to Dodge. I think that's because if you look at the vehicles it's offering today, Dodge has become the Pontiac of Chrysler Group; Dodge has become the "Excitement Division" of Chrysler Group. GM needs to get it through its thick skull that there are Pontiac fans who are ready, willing, and able to purchase a new Pontiac, if only Pontiac were brought back into production. Until then, GM will continue to lose such customers to Dodge and other brands similar to what Pontiac was.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd definitely only buy Pontiac if they we're still around. Would get another g6 in a heartbeat. But would consider a g8 or gto

·
Registered
470 Posts
What ultimately hurt Pontiac was being attached with GM. On the other end, without GM, they wouldn't have been able to part share as easily and at such low cost, which would have increased the MSRP of the vehicles and they would have been sunk anyway. I'm sure if Pontiac was their own manufacturer, not just a 'brand', they would have kept up with the import as well as the domestic competition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What ultimately hurt Pontiac was being attached with GM. On the other end, without GM, they wouldn't have been able to part share as easily and at such low cost, which would have increased the MSRP of the vehicles and they would have been sunk anyway. I'm sure if Pontiac was their own manufacturer, not just a 'brand', they would have kept up with the import as well as the domestic competition.
@360ci: Actually, I would suggest that Pontiac was mismanaged by GM. I think there's no excuse for a brand that was #3 at GM--and possibly the #1 GM brand in Canada--AT THE TIME it was murdered, to HAVE been murdered. Add to that Pontiac's large fanbase, and Pontiac's demise becomes an even greater outrage. Google "Bring Back Pontiac", and see all the threads/sites you get. Folks on these sites/threads are calling for Pontiac's return, and GM ought to heed them. These are car-buying consumers talking. It's an outrage that GM turned its back on them, and CONTINUES to keep its back turned to them. GM needs to HEED the VOICE of CONSUMERS. By ignoring this consumer demand, GM is displaying the same kind of arrogance that got it into trouble in the FIRST place.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Would GM also resurrect Saab/Isuzu. No.

You suggest correctly. Poor management led to the demise ultimately. GM directors telling Pontiac managers what they have as a budget, how many of X parts they're allowed, and the GM directors ultimately controlled the company leaving the Pontiac management at their whim. GM itself is the problem, and needs to fold. Let each brand fend for themselves, leaving part sharing in place and cut out one complete level of management. It's what Chrysler did with Ram, and so far it's working. Ram is it's own company yet it's partnered with the Chrysler Group. Same with Volvo and Jaguar are thriving now that they're no longer attached to Ford, but some aspects of the business (parts/engines for example) are still shared, and assembly plants are still shared. It's a good compromise so that everyone wins.

The other problem with GM corporate, is that it's afraid to step up to the plate and offer new tech, that no one else isn't offering yet. GM was going to offer a smaller diesel in their 1500 trucks years ago. Guess what. They didn't think it would pan out, so Ram is doing it this fall and they will make millions. GM once again, is playing catch up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm reviving this thread just to add my two cents. I was told that a big part of the decision to shutdown Pontiac and not another brand was because of the chinese love of Buick's. And with 1 billion chinese buying Buicks it made Pontiac expendable. Sounds lame I know but kinda makes sense. I've always been a Pontiac guy but moved over and bought a chevy recently.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I think it was majorly due to the fact that it was GM's flagship performance brand and they failed to deliver performance-oriented vehicles, so sales were in the tank. I mean seriously, why put a FWD drivetrain and N/A engines into sports cars? Of course the G8 and Solstice are exceptions.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Pontiac was axed because it had been losing money for years. GM had a plan to make Pontiac turn-around but the gov't didn't want GM to risk anything after the bankruptcy and to concentrate its resources on only the core more profitable brands.

Buicks in the US wasn't performing well either but was one of the top selling brands in China. It was also the preferred government official vehicles over there. Since GM sells more cars in China than in the US, there was no way they will kill the goose that laid the golden eggs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it was majorly due to the fact that it was GM's flagship performance brand and they failed to deliver performance-oriented vehicles, so sales were in the tank. I mean seriously, why put a FWD drivetrain and N/A engines into sports cars? Of course the G8 and Solstice are exceptions.
Well, even though Pontiac was indeed GM's performance brand, that didn't mean that each and every Pontiac vehicle could be a hot rod. Pontiac dealers had to have mainstream Pontiacs, too, to maintain sales volume. I liked just about ALL Pontiacs, and not just the hot-rod models. The Pontiac brand was--and remains--special to me. Every vehicle I've ever owned--including the one I own now--has been a Pontiac. I think we have to remember that Pontiac was--and always had been--a mainstream brand. People simply can't expect a mainstream American car brand to feature ONLY hot rods. Despite being a mainstream brand, Pontiac was hugely successful during much of the '60s and much of the mid- to late-'80s. GM must have later mismanaged/neglected Pontiac for the brand to stumble to the point where it "had" to be shut down. GM ought to revive Pontiac and manage it RIGHT, just as it did in the '60s and mid- to late-'80s. The brand still has a large following; I think it can be done.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
There's no ifs ands or buts, Pontiac needs to deliver the performance it promises. What about cars like the Eclipse GSX? That was a mainstream car and was performance-based; an AWD turbocharged sports car. Speaking of which... Mitsu should bring that car back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
BMW, Audi, Acura, and Infiniti make mostly performance oriented vehicles and they are quite successful without being a mainstream brand. With GM as the parent company, there is no reason/excuse why Pontiac can't be as competitive if they are serious about making Pontiac the niche performance division of GM. Vehicles such as the Solstice, G8, Camaro, ATS, CTS, speak for themselves and should be part of the Pontiac family.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's no ifs ands or buts, Pontiac needs to deliver the performance it promises. What about cars like the Eclipse GSX? That was a mainstream car and was performance-based; an AWD turbocharged sports car. Speaking of which... Mitsu should bring that car back.
I think there ARE ifs, ands, or buts sometimes. I repeat: NO mainstream brand can offer ONLY hot rods, and survive. That goes for Mitsubishi as well; obviously, not ALL Mitsubishis are hot rods, and Mitsubishi isn't even officially a sport brand, while Pontiac WAS. Having said that, I think Pontiac COULD accept the challenge of the Eclipse GSX. I'm strictly a Pontiac fan, so I don't know a whole lot about Mitsubishi. However, I AM aware of the Eclipse; isn't that something like Pontiac's G5 or Solstice? Then Pontiac COULD offer a performance version of the G5 or Solstice. Obviously, however, GM has to REVIVE Pontiac first. This is a G6 site; shouldn't you guys be pushing for Pontiac's return?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts