Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell all,
I was wondering if it would be silly to have a Bug Deflector installed on my G6... What are your takes on this ...YEAH or NAY?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I was just wondering if it would help prevent stone/bug chips & to see if anyone else thought of this or has anypics on how it would look...&/or if you have any suggestions to prevent chips (WAXES,etc...) I am not too keen on Le Bra type of materials as it corrodes & discolors paint (i.e.: my 1999 Chrysler Cirrus,LXI)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use the OEM bra on my G6 during the summer. I wax underneath the hood portion every month and it has done nothing to the paint. When I take it off to wash (monthly), its like brand new underneath with no bugs baked on and no chips. To be honest, I wouldn't drive a day in the summer without it. The paint on the G6 is garbage and it needs all the protection it can get from debri.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could always get a bugshield like mine. 3M clear protector. 18 months and 28,000 miles down the road and it looks as good as the day I had it put on, and it doesn't even show damage from rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
chibull17 said:
Where would I get that put on ?
The same place that tinted the windows did it for me. It goes on just like tint does.

The 3M stuff was on a roll that was about 6 feet long, and ran through what looked like a vinyl cutter. The software loaded the car pattern and cut the pieces out of the roll. Pretty cool to watch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
otcpharm said:
The same place that tinted the windows did it for me. It goes on just like tint does.
otcpharm~ What did that run you ... if you don't mind sharing that is... :rolleyes: Also, I have been toying with the idea of tinting my '05 GT with a mirror tint - I read somewhere that this is inadvisable for the rear window due to the defroster/antenna placement. Is there any truth in this warning :confused:
Fine looking car, btw!!! :glasses:

I also notice looking at your picture that you haven't the front license plate bracket applied. Does your state not require one OR was it simply removed for application of the 3M clear protector - it looks sharp without it! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Oracle said:
otcpharm~ What did that run you ... if you don't mind sharing that is... :rolleyes: Also, I have been toying with the idea of tinting my '05 GT with a mirror tint - I read somewhere that this is inadvisable for the rear window due to the defroster/antenna placement. Is there any truth in this warning :confused:
Fine looking car, btw!!! :glasses:

I also notice looking at your picture that you haven't the front license plate bracket applied. Does your state not require one OR was it simply removed for application of the 3M clear protector - it looks sharp without it! :)
Had it done back in Oct. of 2005 and it ran about $600 back then. Probably cheaper now that it's becoming more common.

Thanks, I'm kinda fond of this color. All my vehicles are this color - just can't get away from it.

Kansas does not require front license plates, so no new vehicle sold here comes with it installed unless you request it. Across the line in Missouri, they all do 'cuz they have to wear front plates.

Never heard that about the mirror tint. I have learned, both through experience ( :( ) and professional word-of-mouth, that with regular tint you want to make sure that the tint has a bronze or brownish shading to it. This shading reflects a higher quality metal-based tint which won't turn blue (I know we've all seen that stuff on somebody's car). The cheaper stuff uses a dye-based tint that changes color with UV exposure over time, eventually turning blue (like the crap that I installed on my truck years ago :mad: ).

·
Registered
86 Posts
a friend of mine has tint on his ram that has about a 2" strip at the bottom that is mirror tint. i think it is 5% and it is turning purple bad now. it has been on there for a couple years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Redsun_ty said:
I want to get one of those 3m stuff but don't know if there are shops here!!
3M has an authorized installer locator, says for US and Canada, but no options for up north come up. From the main menu, I looked through the Canada site, but they didn't list the paint protection film. I guess there are no authorized installers up there, but there are a few in NY and PA.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/Find_Installer/

It's also sold retail, if you wanted to try your hand at putting it on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the owners manny says to not use any tint because of the radio and defroster. I've had no noticable problems, but mirror tint unless factory (at least in NY) will get you a ticket pretty fast, and that half mirror stuff IMO looks tacky!

·
Registered
169 Posts
SimplyRed said:
If I'm not mistaken, the owners manny says to not use any tint because of the radio and defroster. I've had no noticable problems, but mirror tint unless factory (at least in NY) will get you a ticket pretty fast, and that half mirror stuff IMO looks tacky!
Never read that in manual, and the dealer must not have either. They arranged the tint through a supplier they use for all their tint work.

That being said, it hasn't affected radio reception or defogger performance at all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Forum~ Thanx for all your input into the tinting topic, I appreciate the feedback. Until I have the means, I will be doing some research to better determine the "whys" & "why nots" that WE all seem to have heard from one source or another. Stay tuned... ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
SimplyRed said:
When they tinted your windows, do you know if they had to remove the door panels by any chance?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
They didnt remove them on mine. They cut it below the channel so it dissapears into the door. But they are right about loss of AM signal
with metal tint on the back window. Thats where your antenna is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts