Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have the problem of bugs ending up in the lenses of the vanity lights above the rear view mirror?
I cannot figure where they are coming from, the dealer looked at it and he said he has never seen this. All I can guess is that I have the sunroof open a lot and that cloth sound dampener is somehow directing the bugs to drop down in from the top but I cannot see any openings for them to go into.
I cannot figure out how to clean them out without breaking something and all the dealer said was that next time I have it in for service they will clean them out. So I guess I have to look at them until then. also if bugs are getting in then surely water can get in also??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cyberslinger said:
Does anyone else have the problem of bugs ending up in the lenses of the vanity lights above the rear view mirror?
I cannot figure where they are coming from, the dealer looked at it and he said he has never seen this. All I can guess is that I have the sunroof open a lot and that cloth sound dampener is somehow directing the bugs to drop down in from the top but I cannot see any openings for them to go into.
I cannot figure out how to clean them out without breaking something and all the dealer said was that next time I have it in for service they will clean them out. So I guess I have to look at them until then. also if bugs are getting in then surely water can get in also??
There's another thread on this somewhere. They are being sucked in via the open sunroof. Only fix I have heard so far (apart from keeping it closed :D ) is strategically placed weatherstrip. One owner had the rooflining lowered to find hundreds of the critters. Guess it depends where you live too.

Cheers, Bean.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Damn yeah I thought it was just me!!!! Definitely have the problem, but it's not so much of an issue as much as just an annoyance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep, same issue here, in the divers side vanity light. Not a big deal but annyoing and gross to look at, especially with a car that only has 3500 miles on it. Thanks also for the cleaning tip, ill be doing that soon!

·
Registered
75 Posts
ok blackrider, im stuck, how do you get that panel off without scratching the plastic panel, which is what looks like will happen if i try to pry it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
WOW, I got the panel off, just had to pry a bit harder. It was like an insect woodstock in there!!! A collection of small flies, moths and mosquitoes got in there and i had to clean them all out. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't see any yet in the map lights or the dome light, but I am going to remove the panel anyway- I'm sure there are bugs in there because I use my sunroof all the time. Just maybe not on the clear lights themselves. Gross!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm thinking about maybe getting creative with some weatherstripping and trying to create a "seal" around the lens of the reading lights. That way, theoretically, when bugs blow into that panel, they'll stay off the lenses, and I won't have to worry that it will look bad and I can avoid cleaning it more then once a year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts