Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 G6 with 68k on it and the trim on the outside of the drivers side door, commonly called the bumper guard, peeled off. I have taken the trim completely off and cleaned the car's surface and the trim's surface, which is a time consuming nightmare if you havene't done it, and I can't figure out what type of adhesive to use to put it back on. I don't know if they use goop or a special GM adhesive?

If anyone knows please let me know as winter is approaching here in Indy and I don't want salt to get down in the holes where the trim would be.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Would you mind taking a picture? I was always wondering what it would look like if that fell off. I'm sure someone here will know what to use.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
3M makes several automotive body double stick tapes that stick like crazy in many widths & thicknesses. They aren't re-positionable but are removable given the right solvent.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m+automotive+tape&sprefix=3m+auto[/ame]

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
When mine partially came off at the door seam on my back passanger side door
it didnt appear to be any type of 3M tape but some type of rubber glue...

I put a little epoxy on it and smashed it back.

I wish you luck.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
When mine partially came off at the door seam on my back passanger side door
it didnt appear to be any type of 3M tape but some type of rubber glue...

I put a little epoxy on it and smashed it back.

I wish you luck.
black RTV sealant

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cyclo-C-951-Black-RTV-Sealant/dp/B004M23GIK[/ame]

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
A buddy of mine worked a body shop. Just use some 3M tape. The profesional automotive quality tape works wonders and will probably last quite a long time.

My car didn't come with those bumper guards, and frankly I like it better without.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
A buddy of mine worked a body shop. Just use some 3M tape. The profesional automotive quality tape works wonders and will probably last quite a long time.

My car didn't come with those bumper guards, and frankly I like it better without.
I really thought about taking mine off if they don't have holes behind them. I saw one G6 with the rear door guards taken off but the front were intact... Confused me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts