Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what I do I cant manage to burnout. I turn off TC, keep it in first pull up the hand brake and floor it but it still feel likes TC kicks in because it stops immediately :confused: . Could it be my tires because I have all season performance tires on the front and stock piece of crap on the back :D

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
i punch it to the floor and my tires squeel the traction on them isnt amazing...i burnout for like 10 seconds when its raining and i do it...stop to floor it my tires cant handle it haha

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All my tires can do is squeal...

·
Registered
83 Posts
My car does it to, may be something to do with abs, not sure. But when I dont use the handbrake, all it does is burn out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Press and hold down your TC button for 15 seconds? huuuuuh?

The reason we can not 'burnout' in our cars are 2 reasons - A) Our HP an Torque are roughly (if not identical) the same, you HAVE to have more torque than HP to break the tires loose, as well as the proper tires and pavement. Its easier to burn out on concrete and blacktop than it is a main road. If you are able to break the tires loose, you need to ensure they have enough power to break whatever traction is trying to be regained as you pick up speed and move forward.

B) your using an automatic - Yes, it can be done in SOME cars but not our family style rides. Even the GT trans (Although decent) which was staged for a quicker acceleration and different shift points does not keep the power band in the 'sweet spot' where with a stick, hell, you just need to feather the clutch and you can burnout until your tired or the tires pop.

You could always go backwards down a hill (about 3-5 mph) in neutral and then slam it into gear and mash on the gas.... granted your going to tear the crap out of the tranny but no more than your previous brake torque and hand break attempts.

Heh - you could always pour bleach onto a washcloth and wipe your tires down!!

keep us updated

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I think burning out is pretty stupid, but hey, not my decision to make.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Press and hold down your TC button for 15 seconds? huuuuuh?

The reason we can not 'burnout' in our cars are 2 reasons - A) Our HP an Torque are roughly (if not identical) the same, you HAVE to have more torque than HP to break the tires loose, as well as the proper tires and pavement. Its easier to burn out on concrete and blacktop than it is a main road. If you are able to break the tires loose, you need to ensure they have enough power to break whatever traction is trying to be regained as you pick up speed and move forward.

B) your using an automatic - Yes, it can be done in SOME cars but not our family style rides. Even the GT trans (Although decent) which was staged for a quicker acceleration and different shift points does not keep the power band in the 'sweet spot' where with a stick, hell, you just need to feather the clutch and you can burnout until your tired or the tires pop.

You could always go backwards down a hill (about 3-5 mph) in neutral and then slam it into gear and mash on the gas.... granted your going to tear the crap out of the tranny but no more than your previous brake torque and hand break attempts.

Heh - you could always pour bleach onto a washcloth and wipe your tires down!!

keep us updated

I didn't know you had to have more torque than horse power to do a burn out? I wonder if a Ferrari F40 can do a burnout? The HP is much higher than the torque.

I wonder if the gearing matters or if you leave traction control and stabilatrac on...would that keep you from doing a burn out?

I could have swore the other day at Byron Drag way, a guy with a G6 gt did a hellatios burnout with a baby seat in the back.

Maybe something was wrong with his car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
jet mech, the Ferrari F40 - at the point of burnout (power curve) there is WAY more torque than Hp - here is a link for ya http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/172/Ferrari-F40.html

Gearing matters but again it depends on the power curve, the GT has better gearing for launch and acceleration yes I agree. Trac control on our cars retards the engine, not the gearing - not sure where you were going with that.

Your buddy who did the hellacious burnout, if its stock, I'll believe it when I see it.

·
'06 G6 GTP
5 Posts
I know the manual GTP has enough to get it done. I was sitting at a stop sign the other day, getting more and more frustrated by the second, as traffic continued to alternate from heavy in one direction, to heavy in the other direction. Finally spotted my opening, and dropped it like it was slightly more than luke-warm. From starting point to 100 feet down the road, I was roasting the tires all the way up into 3rd gear. I even tried to lay off a little while I was in 2nd to get it to stop burning, but it just kept going.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.