Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the first oil change service there has been a distict odor of burnt oil inside the car. Mind you it is not overwelming but its prevelent and annoying. It occurs when the car is stopped after driving on the highway for 5 minutes. It come through the vents of the climate control not from an open window. I have seen some pics on this site of the area near the oil filter and its pretty tight, so I figured it came from some oil spashed onto the exaust crossover pipe when the service was done.
When I brought it in recently for its next oil service I mentioned it to the service manager. He said they know about it and that they are using a plastic shield to prevent the splashing so it would not occur again.
Later that day, guess what, the odor returned.
Has anyone experience this? If yes, have you come up with a viable solution?
If this problem persists I may have to get rid of the car, which i really do not want to do. I really like this car, its a hoot to drive!
Dplotta, 2006 G6 GT Sedan, Electric Blue

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try going to a hand-wand car wash that uses those pressure sprayers and soak down the engine with the engine cleaner spray. Let it soak for a minute or so and then pressure-rinse it off - that should rinse away the oil and hopefully get rid of the smell. You may need to do it a couple of times if the smell is really bad.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When the pipe is hot, spray the oily spot with TB/intake cleaner. It should seperate/evaporate the residue immediately.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dplotta said:
Ever since the first oil change service there has been a distict odor of burnt oil inside the car. Mind you it is not overwelming but its prevelent and annoying. It occurs when the car is stopped after driving on the highway for 5 minutes. It come through the vents of the climate control not from an open window. I have seen some pics on this site of the area near the oil filter and its pretty tight, so I figured it came from some oil spashed onto the exaust crossover pipe when the service was done.
When I brought it in recently for its next oil service I mentioned it to the service manager. He said they know about it and that they are using a plastic shield to prevent the splashing so it would not occur again.
Later that day, guess what, the odor returned.
Has anyone experience this? If yes, have you come up with a viable solution?
If this problem persists I may have to get rid of the car, which i really do not want to do. I really like this car, its a hoot to drive!
Dplotta, 2006 G6 GT Sedan, Electric Blue
I would just do your own oil change next time and see if its a problem. I change my own and have never had it splash anywhere but in the oil pan. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts