Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have my new filter and intake pieces, but none of the local autostores had the heat shield boxes. If they did they were in a kit and I didn't want that. So, my question is what is a good material to make a poor-man's CAB? I saw someone make one out of a black rubbermaid trash can on another forum and they said it worked great. What do yall think?

· Registered
159 Posts
what filter and intake pieces do you have?
he's probably just got the spectre build it yourself stuff.

to answer your question, there's a bunch of different materials that you could use. I'd go with a rigid material like the stuff they use to make signs, i forget what the hell its called but its pretty much two sheets of aluminum with corrugation between(like cardboard, but with metal) and then wrap it with that heat wrap that people put on their exhaust to keep the exhaust inside the pipe rather than in their engine bay.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats exactly what i got haha. My dad said hes got some aluminum sided foam board (figured the insulation would help) and I have some high temp paint left, so I was gonna make it out of the board and then paint it, do you think that would suffice?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I thought about that, but I like the look of the filter being visible lol, plus isnt it a hassle to get to when changing/cleaning it?

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Just have to pull out the headlight to get to it, 2 bolts and some push pins; pretty easy as far as I am concerned. I had made my own CAB out of a street sign before, and it worked, but wanted even colder air so I routed it into the bumper. I like this look beter, but just my oppinion.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I'm going to completely seal my box anyway so its essentially gonna do the same thing, I'm not overly worried about performance at the moment, but I'm pretty handy at getting things to work like I want, and I've got plenty of materials and all the tools in the world XD

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i need to take some pics now before its finished so yall can see my jury rigged mount lmao

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.