Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not afford to install a crabs or any other intake kit for that matter. So I decided to set out to fabricate my own.

Requirements.
LOW COST
Function as a CAI
Look Like a CAI
Not Be Hokey

I started by ripping out that massive air box, and stored it along with the brand new filter I bought a few weeks ago.

I attached a intake coupler to the mass airflow sensor. This was a little tuff but not to bad. I attached a 4 in tube and a cone filter. Looks like an intake to me!

I took a few measurements to determine what the rough dimensions of the heat shield would be, and cut a rough mock up out of a box from an 18 pack.

Trim... and Test Fit... Trim... and Test Fit... Trim... and Test Fit...
I think I took this in and out of the car about 20 times.

Once I was happy with the fit. I cut the pattern out of sheet metal.

And again with the Trim... and Test Fit...

I added a few finishing touches...

and here is the final install.

Well I know it's not perfect. but I think I accomplished my goal for now. I will be looking into a front pipe soon though.

All in all this was a fun and challenging project. It took me a several hours to get the heat shield mocked up. and a few more to fab the sheet metal. So I see where buying the kit and the 20 min install time is probably better.

First impressions are.

No CEL, so that's good

It seems to have opened it up quite a bit, as it feels more peppy.

Sounds way healthier. nice little growl when I put my foot in it.

I can't really comment on mileage.. I can't keep my foot out of it. So I'll keep you posted.

I'm not sure what the symptoms of heat soak are, but I see no negative side affects to my mod so far.

So that's that...

Lets hear your comments!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I could not afford to install a crabs or any other intake kit for that matter. So I decided to set out to fabricate my own.

Requirements.
LOW COST
Function as a CAI
Look Like a CAI
Not Be Hokey

I started by ripping out that massive air box, and stored it along with the brand new filter I bought a few weeks ago.

I attached a intake coupler to the mass airflow sensor. This was a little tuff but not to bad. I attached a 4 in tube and a cone filter. Looks like an intake to me!

I took a few measurements to determine what the rough dimensions of the heat shield would be, and cut a rough mock up out of a box from an 18 pack.

Trim... and Test Fit... Trim... and Test Fit... Trim... and Test Fit...
I think I took this in and out of the car about 20 times.

Once I was happy with the fit. I cut the pattern out of sheet metal.

And again with the Trim... and Test Fit...

I added a few finishing touches...

and here is the final install.

Well I know it's not perfect. but I think I accomplished my goal for now. I will be looking into a front pipe soon though.

All in all this was a fun and challenging project. It took me a several hours to get the heat shield mocked up. and a few more to fab the sheet metal. So I see where buying the kit and the 20 min install time is probably better.

First impressions are.

No CEL, so that's good

It seems to have opened it up quite a bit, as it feels more peppy.

Sounds way healthier. nice little growl when I put my foot in it.

I can't really comment on mileage.. I can't keep my foot out of it. So I'll keep you posted.

I'm not sure what the symptoms of heat soak are, but I see no negative side affects to my mod so far.

So that's that...

Lets hear your comments!
It looks pretty Legit.. now make sure you take out the intake resonator.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Nice. Now you need to paint it. Also, it's a heat shield, not a CAI. :p Bothered me.

At first I thought that bud light cardboard WAS the heat shield and I almost face palmed until I saw the aluminum.

·
!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha...

That would be pretty funny if it was just the cardboard.
Well I did make the heat shield, but the project was to install the intake. I guess a true CAI would go into the fender.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,354 Posts
It reminds me of something.....cant really put my finger on it. :rolleyes:

It's tin? :eek:

Cold Air Boxes are classified as CAI's. K&N will even tell you that. :cool:

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts

I guess so.

·
!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I told you I was going to try it...

It's not tin. it's galvanized sheet metal. We shall see if it reflects the heat.

any tips on measuring the temperature inside the air box?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would love to see a how to on this man...definitely looks like a great project for this summer
Edit: rather how or what did you cover the sheet metal with cause I think that's the only thing you didn't explain ha...great job by the way looks great

·
!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A how to? Ok

First the get rid of the gonkulator!
then buy a dealy-O and a thing-a-mabobber.
Next connect the dealy-O and the thing-a-mabobber and connect it where the gonkulator used to be.
Then make a hickamabob.
POOF! Intake... DONE SON!

Just kidding.
I don't think a how to is in order yet. It's not a proven design. I say we wait and see what happens. She is still a work in progress.

Oh Sorry Tupp. I think the niche is saturated. If someone wants one they know where to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts