Pontiac G6 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a red 07 G6 gt convertible.
123,000 miles. Having issues with either rack n pinion or a hose. I can't find anyone to work on it.i just bought her but I think I'm going to sell her. Not sure what to price her for.

·
08 convertible
357 Posts
Hi Dena, sorry to hear that. It's very unusual to not be able to find anyone to work on your rack and pinion. Pretty much any regular garage, tire dealer, exhaust franchise (Midas, Tuffy) and of course dealerships will do that type of work. Do you live in a remote rural area with no auto service shops of any kind or is there another reason?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Dena, sorry to hear that. It's very unusual to not be able to find anyone to work on your rack and pinion. Pretty much any regular garage, tire dealer, exhaust franchise (Midas, Tuffy) and of course dealerships will do that type of work. Do you live in a remote rural area with no auto service shops of any kind or is there another reason?
You are correct. There is one shop around here. And they are always busy and costly.I haven't tried very hard either.the mechanic said he thinks it's just a hose.then the back window had been broken.needs one tire and key fob. it starts and runs great. She's just been sitting here being neglected. I do like the car, but I live where it's almost all gravel. and I dought I'd get anywhere in the winter. I did put a new radiator and cooling line connectors. Changed the oil.right when I bought it.

·
2007 G6 GT conv
18 Posts
2007 GT blue gold, 111k. 3.9L. Bought new. No top problems other than replacing the assist cylinders to keep the trunk lid open. Have had issues with the transmission (replaced), cooling system (leaking seals in the crossover between cylinder heads 2x), cylinder heads rebuilt (2 months out of warranty grrrr).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always wanted one of these cars. This summer I found one that was affordable, In operable condition and almost completely rust free. It has high mileage at 181000. She is a crimson red 06 GT. It’s funny in my research this car is not supposed to exist because everything says they didn’t release till 07 model...... I love mine. Thinking of getting another for my partner. The curves and lines couldn’t be better on this amazing car. Too bad they only made 4 years. I live in middle Tennessee and have only seen 2 others. They seem fairly rare these days.
JamieLynn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats! I got mine when my old 06 gtp got to 230,000 as my sons were concerned as I drove 3000 mi a mo for work. I hope you enjoy yours too. Bad side on these is they do not make parts for the top anymore. Finding someone who knows how to work on the top (not just say they do as some dealers don’t) and finding parts is frustrating! My old gtp had much more power even after I added cai on this one. Can’t find anyone to reroute the exhaust to stop the power bottle neck. It is at least able to pass ok after cia and performance spark plug wires before it was scary. I still love it and will keep until I can find another 4 seater hard top vert.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats! I got mine when my old 06 gtp got to 230,000 as my sons were concerned as I drove 3000 mi a mo for work. I hope you enjoy yours too. Bad side on these is they do not make parts for the top anymore. Finding someone who knows how to work on the top (not just say they do as some dealers don’t) and finding parts is frustrating! My old gtp had much more power even after I added cai on this one. Can’t find anyone to reroute the exhaust to stop the power bottle neck. It is at least able to pass ok after cia and performance spark plug wires before it was scary. I still love it and will keep until I can find another 4 seater hard top vert.
I tend to do most of my own work so when and if my top stops working I will figure out how to work on it. I am thinking of a cat back exhaust and performance plugs and wires. I have a very small amount of rust at the body seam on the passenger side and some filler cracking by the passenger rear tire. Body shop said they will fix both for 900 and match paint. After payoff I’m getting it repainted with pearl or metal flake. Haven’t decided if I want to keep it mostly stock or add the hood with “scoops” I already added protection headlights. Love the car and what you can do with it. I have v rated Firestone firehawk all seasons on it and it corners amazingly. I’m not so much about straight line speed as handling I don’t speed much as you can get tickets but where I live the roads are amazing if you have a well handling car. 😊

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found a couple of pictures of my baby I named her “Gena the G6” so here she is. I was on a date with my partner and she wanted a picture of me with my car I had just got out of the hospital and got the car. I had a life changing surgery and can no longer work. I lost my 2 almost new cars and had to get something. I always wanted a convertible so I decided to finally get one and added the I am alive plate as proof you can live a full life even when disabled, never let life hold you back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 black on black leather 3.9 loaded GT convertible with 155K won't move in drive. Works 1 - 4 in manual, drive after 2nd gear is reached, and reverse. Won't go into1st gear from drive. It's not throwing any codes but we're told it needs a 1-2 shift solenoid or another new tranny. Already had a rebuilt GM one at around 66K. Nice looking car but just don't want to put any more money or time into it. Be listing on the for sale or for parts side. Anyone need anything let us know. We're 45 minutes west of Chicago. Typical oil dribbles. Newer tires. No body rust. Had the entire front end done last year (struts, control arms, outer tie-rods, bushings, rotors, hubs) Top works fine but one of the sensors is bad (top not secure message) so gotta disconnect the battery to get the trunk open. Blend door stuck in defrost mode but blows hot or cold when called for. I'll send pictures upon request. If you have a good tranny and patience to change the blend door actuator out (which I have) it would make a fun project.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for the response. may check into your suggestions. need to run across a good mechanic willing to experiment I think. One the dealer tells you it's done, kinda sinks your hopes.
Take to another dealer. First dealer I went to (Tom Kelly) told me my top issue could be one of 3 sensors- replaced 2 (had to get used) could not find 3rd and no change. Took to mechanic after I caused a short in the cargo cover sensor who fixed that and said motor bad, bought another (used) and took to a top shop (no experience on hard tops but willing to try. It was mostly better but still some issues opening and closing. Took to another dealer after many calls. Summit city in ft wayne said he would check it out and try to fix but no promises - he had worked on convertible tops but not G6 but he could access the needed info. He fixed it. 4 shops and $1000 later (half on parts I didn’t need) and it works great. Call dealers and top shops and ask about experience with convertible tops. Btw don’t call gm - they have no clue what certifications their mechanics have!

61 - 80 of 96 Posts