Pontiac G6 Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Glad to hear! Btw. Can you explain to the rest of us what he did that the rest could or did not do for you. I know he fixed you convert top but if you could be more specific i and many more would likely appreciate it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is my post from my fb page :
After months of trying to solve my 08 G6 gt verts issues with top stopping when raising, had to lower, try again... over heat.. wait... try again. I went to Kelly Chevrolet. They dx as not communicating with bcm... one of 3 parts (2 not made anymore). Oh and they had 6 in there that they could not fix due to no parts. I started replacing them one by one but when I was replacing a part in the trunk top control module, the cargo sensor fell apart. Took to kopo automotive (after weeks of trying to find someone to do it) to bypass it which they did and then retested and found no issues... after they put my original Tcm back in. The one I bought was bad.. too late to return. Top would not close when testing. Said my motor was too weak though hydraulics not leaking and full and put it up manually (but forgot to replace side panel tops before putting up so seat belts inoperable). Went in search of someone to rebuild motor... then someone to pull motor as koto then ghosted me. Spoke with owner of fabinis and he was not knowledgeable with the car but said he would try. He pulled it and I took to get rebuilt but found they are sealed and can’t be. Found a used one with hydraulic pump that was tested on the car it came off of and he installed. It started working but then stopped before top closed completely and trunk would not open and he still needed to finish with priming pump. I found out how to reset so it would close and he was able to finish. Then the front deck lid would not close all the way (1/4 in up). He was at end of knowledge on how to fix. Called gm looking for someone certified in top repair for G6... they did not keep a list of their mechanics certs! I was not wanting to waste more money on bad dx and was willing to travel to other states to repair. Started calling dealers asking if they had anyone knowledgeable on these. Summit city Chevy said they had a top guy, come talk to him. Spoke with him and he said he hadn’t worked on many and last was years ago but he could look up the data and had basic knowledge about the system and sensors and would try. He did find the issues. A lid pin was part way out and he needed to rewire a sensor. It now works better than it has since I bought it. No more having to lift deck lid as it first rises and it is faster. It wasn’t cheap but I wasted over $420 in parts I did not need all due to a dealer that was clueless. Cant wait for a warm day so I can get some use out of it before winter! Btw excuse the stripes... the stripe shop put them on backwards and too high. I need to find similar ones and get them redone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2006 Black GTP, 83K Miles. Second owner bought it with 67,000 miles on it. The car only had one owner previous owner. Less than 3 month later the engine blew. My aftermarket warranty and help from the Dealership got the engine replaced with a brand new 3.9 GM engine. Only other nagging issue in a Low Coolant light that comes on every time I start the car. Sometimes it goes off, sometimes it doesn't. Dealer pressure tested the system at 3 different oil changes and says there are no leaks and the coolant level is good.

Being near Chicago, it's time to start putting the top down and hoping for the best. Is there any preventative maintenance that should be performed in the Spring? Lubrication? Anything? Can't find any mention of such a process online.
I am stunned that all across the country that there doesn't seem to be, within GM dealership's no technically sound technicians
What model and year? Maybe we could help each other if we know who the convertible owners are in one thread
I have a gray 06 GTP convertible with approx.56000 miles
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Red 2007 G6 GT 3.9 V6 Vert with under 60k miles .... New here, and just getting familiar with this car.

Was wondering if the "winding" sound when accelerate, normal for these cars ... almost like a turbo spooling up.

and do you guys typically swap out the stock stereo? and have anyone found a stereo that transfers over the vehicle info (ie, top complete, low fuel, lights on)?

really enjoying the car so far

·
Registered
22 Posts
Red 2007 G6 GT 3.9 V6 Vert with under 60k miles .... New here, and just getting familiar with this car.

Was wondering if the "winding" sound when accelerate, normal for these cars ... almost like a turbo spooling up.

and do you guys typically swap out the stock stereo? and have anyone found a stereo that transfers over the vehicle info (ie, top complete, low fuel, lights on)?

Yep I have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are several threads that discuss the whistling noise that seems to afflict the convertibles. Use the search and key words "whistling noise" and you'll get them. My car was afflicted with it and the original owner had it fixed under warranty years ago. I can't prove it's the cause, but convertibles use a smaller diameter mid-exhaust pipe with flattened spots in a couple of places to clear the under body brace the convertibles have. (I believe this pipe is the reason the convertibles are rated at less horsepower than the coupes and sedans with the same engines.) I replaced the stock pipe with a normal one from a sedan and had good results. I did a write up on this change a year or two ago and I'll post a link to it if anyone wants it. Good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, my car didn't whistle when I got it. The whistle was apparently a known issue back when these cars were new and I believe the resonators were replaced under warranty. I decided to change the pipe later to try to recoup the few horsepower the stock pipe allegedly blocked. (Wikipedia alludes to the more restrictive convertible exhaust system.)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Mine does it at 2,000 rpm. I kind of like it though, it lets me know if I’m giving it too much gas in the city. I have 3.9l Vert. Isn’t the Vert different because of the flex pipes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The flex pipes are on the g6 gtp as well, not just the vert. This is my second g6. Yes the flex pipe can cause issues. The one on my current vert is not staying snug at connector, been in shop 3x to tighten, replaced gasket and replaced bolts.. lasts 2 days. Not extremely loud, but when top down i have to really turn up stereo.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts