Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my screw up.. I thought it was today and when I realised that I made a mistake, I tried to change the topic, but VBB wouldn't let me.. oops..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Firebird was called DOA a long time ago... the GTO and the Camaro will do great together....the firebird isn't worth the effort. I am still in the air...at angles I hate it... at other angles I like it. I am still leaning GTO at the moment (this coming from a life long Camaro owner/fan). I still miss my 4th gen. :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Camaro is the less attractive of the two vehicles, and always has been.

The Firebird/Trans Am would have done so much for Pontiac. Ditch the GTO or restyle it; I don't want a Monero. I want a new Trans Am, and I know GM said the Firebird was dead.

Just goes to show how stupid they are with marketing. They let the F-bodies slip into an early grave by their obvious nonchalant attitude, considering just about every part from 93-02 was interchangable.

If you ask me, Pontiac needs more performers. What they have now, "Driving Excitement" is a joke. They don't want GTO competition? Good. Drop it and put the Bird back where it should've stayed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The GTO is going to be restyled and will most likely be a platform mate with the Camaro. GTO is the halo car for Pontiac. They do have some exciting cars right now too, G6 GTP, Grand Prix GXP, GTO, Solstice (GXP coming soon). IMO these are all great excitment division cars that will only be improving in the years to come.

Gotta go, the unveiling is starting now..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they could have done better with the "show" part of the unveiling.

It's a beautiful car, and the exhaust note that was coming from it when Bob Lutz was revving the engine was intoxicating.

Obviously there are things on the concept that can be improved.

The front end is really nice and screams Camaro, but the rear end is a little too much Corvette and not enough Camaro.

The interior is way too retro for my preference, but I think it can grow on me. The Mustang IMO had a very retro interior, but I really liked it once I got to drive one. I'm sure that the Camaro will have the same effect with me.

The wheels are very nice and seem to flow well with the car.

The exhaust tips are a little weird, they should either be round or square, not round with a flat top.

This car will turn more heads than the Challenger in my opinion.

·
Registered
532 Posts
actually the firebird sold less than the camaro...and if you take away the V6 cars (which has been what enthusiest wanted for a long time) the GTO has sold MORE than firebird v8 models. The GTO recieved negative press but is a car the firebird simply can not touch. Refinement, handling, build quality, etc... Camaro owners that have driven the GTO either LOVE them or have bought them. (we have MANY fbody / GTO owners now) one thing that comes up a lot on the boards is 'if the next camaro was like the GTO....' looks like someone was listening... IRS, same chasis, etc. Its the shot in the arm the camaro needs and hopefully they can leave the V6 options off the checklist. (i know we cant get that lucky...)

·
Registered
532 Posts
TLS2000 - The camaro will be sharing the GTO platform as you said..and I agree with your points above..especially the rear end.

As far as the tips..this is interesting.. a lot of people didn't like the 'pizza cutters' on the 4th gen..but the exhaust note was unique. In fact I know a guy with an old school charger sporting those tips. The car sounds like nothing ive ever heard before. :) I wonder if the tips were the reason behind that incredible exhaust note. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SBER99, that is an interesting thought. I think those tips could grow on me, but I really think the back end needs more Camaro in it and less Corvette. Either some rectangular taillights, or a taller bumper would do it, I think.

I can't wait to see what the GTO looks like.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, as I have stated before on another thread, I am and have been a Pontiac fan for a long time owning more than any other brand. However, I wasn't impressed as much as I thought with the "new" Camaro, I think the Mustang has it beat in looks, although I know nothing of the ride or anything other than the looks of the Mustang. The current GTO doesn't do anything for me either, maybe the next gen will. :confused: As it stands now, IF I was to leave Pontiac for a "pony" car and IF Dodge manufacturers the Challenger as it appears in concept. and IF the next GTO isn't a big improvement, I would have to say Challenger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I checked out the camero today. It was ok, but I think the front does need a little more work. As for the GTO, I can only hope the next one looks better than this past one. I do believe it would be a good idea to bring the Firebird/Trans Am back, but only if it was like the one Subtl_Cynicism is showing. I had a 4th generation Z28 and LOVED it. Got it when I was 16. Totaled it at about 18, just wasn't the same after they fixed it. I will say though, it probably saved my life being so tough. That's when cars could really take a hit. Would love to have it back!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts