Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I need to replace the cam sensors on my 2009 Pontiac G6 is a 4 cylinder model but the book for my car (Haynes Repair Manual) says that the pcm needs a relearn after the replacement is complete is that the same as reset or something different. I have 6 codes that came up on my scan tool, most seem to revolve around the camshaft position being out of wack. Want to fix this myself if possible I'm a single mother of 3 and definitely not a mechanic but using the book I have replaced many parts and rewired one of my headlights. Looks like a fairly simple straight forward job, I know if I disconnect the battery for a while the computer will reset but will it also relearn what it needs to for this fix by doing it? What to find out before I dig into this so I'm not stranded. Thank you in advance for any advice

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do not see any relearn procedure mentioned for the 4 cyl (but I do not have one). The instructions for the V6 only mention a relearn for the crankshaft position sensor replacement. The 4 cyl mentions an intake and exhaust sensor. The only tip that was mentioned was to use a little engine oil round the o-ring of the replacement(s).

You might want to post the codes as this may help others provide more information. Hope you manage to fix it and Kudos for giving it a go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure if it was for both or not as the note is located in between the instructions for both and yes I did read that about the oil, do you think I should make a separate post about the codes I have gotten 6 and 4 of them have to do with the camshaft position sensors, and one for the mass air flow performance and the other is for the throttle position sensor 1 performance but my scan tool indicated that the camshaft position sensor is at the highest priority to fix so? And thank you so much for the response anything helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've replaced both sensors and actuators on my 2.4, There has never been any relearn process. It just takes a few minutes of the engine running to reset the code, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet thanks so much been the only thing holding up my repairs, have to do the cam sensors, actuators, throttle body and I guess a mass air flow sensor and that should take care of the engine trouble I've been having or at least it Should take care of the check engine light 😁 you sir have made my day, many thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts