Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is the incorrect section (transmission or appearance), please help me out if it is. Sometimes while driving I like to use my 'rear flashers' aka reverse lights to signal others. In my previous car 2007 camry the reverse and park gears would not engage if you were driving faster than 5mph to prevent damage I assume. My question is for a 2008 g6 gt auto, if I put the gear in Reverse or Park while driving fast is there something that prevents it from engaging or will it mess my car up; I know I can sucessfully do it for short periods of time about .5 seconds or less without it switching gears yet but sometimes I need to flash for longer? Thanks

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im positive you can atleast untill reverse, I do it weekly. And the hazards cant only be used in the rear, sometimes I just want to signal someone directly behind me and not have the added frontal/sides attention. The brake is only needs to be depressed to move out of park. Any other insight?

*edit* just remembered to get it past neutral while driving you must depress that lock button on the shifter - Side note are there any mods to get that button removed or permanently depressed?

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
On the one hand, I'm extremely curious as to what all this signalling is about.

On the other hand, it's probably best to be kept in the dark as much as possible where whatever this is, is concerned.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just get a giant spot light and mount it on your spoiler and run a switch inside your car. problem solved!

No but I don't think it will engage it into reverse if your going like you said, over 5 mph..As far advanced as cars have become i think they would not leave a simple safety thing as such off a car..

I just dont see why you need to "flash" people behind you?? If they are directly behind you and bothering you..mash on the brakes?

·
Registered
911 Posts
x3 on the lol thread...

on a more serious note- why not tap your brakes ever so slightly repetitively as to simulate "rear only" hazards without causing your car to slow down.

·
Registered
422 Posts
How about just driving everywhere in reverse? Then if you want to flash people that are behind you, they would actually be infront of you but yet still behind you and could then use your high beams?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Stridex, I think your comment made my balls grow enough to try it; ill post back after thurough testing.
reverttheclown, people use their brake lights daily its part of their function - however when I flash people with the reverse lights its out of the norm so more noticable, sometimes I use it to catch a race, or creep heh
Today I noticed that if the shifter button is kept depressed there is no need to depress the brake to leave park, as long as it was originally depressed from a gear other than park, or shift through any of the gears - this mod is high on my to do list.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How about just driving everywhere in reverse? Then if you want to flash people that are behind you, they would actually be infront of you but yet still behind you and could then use your high beams?

Lmao :bow:

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Thanks Stridex, I think your comment made my balls grow enough to try it; ill post back after thurough testing.
Why not install a pushbutton switch connected to the reverse light circuit? Same effect without doing something potentially causing thousands of dollars of damage to your drive train.

~ MattInSoCal

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
Why not install a pushbutton switch connected to the reverse light circuit? Same effect without doing something potentially causing thousands of dollars of damage to your drive train.

~ MattInSoCal
this... or why not do it at all? if you get rear ended then its not your fault in the 1st place. ive never even heard of anyone doing this. the odds of you preventing an accident trying to show your reverse lights to someone is pretty slim id say, i would say your more of a hazzard throwing your car in every different gear you have and not paying attention to what your doing on the road, i think its more of a hazzard trying to do this imo.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This has got to be a troll . .

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
StLouisDave - I really hope you dont think Im a troll; I get premium membership to support the site for my new car and plan to upload pictures and contribute to the site, use the search feature for what I can, and if theres something I cant find I ask. If there are some rules I am breaking to deserve that namecalling please point them out so I can abide by them.
Thanks Matt, Ill look into the circuit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts